Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a Kobalt unit at the right price, but the motor and /or motor control board is non functional. Contacted Lowes Canada with no real help - this model is no longer sold in Canada, but still in the USA.
Contacted Greenworks Canada/USA help line and was given contact to a repair depot in Calgary. Unfortunately they're told that the motor control board is not available from Mecanair in Quebec.

So I am looking further afield for a motor control board for the Brushless DC motor. Part number on the Kobalt unit is 36201630AB. As Kobalt and Greenworks are made by the same company, I checked with Greenworks - they show a part number as 36201630AC (note different by just one letter).

Does anyone have any leads or suggestions where to find this part - either new or used (but working obviously)?

·
Retired Moderator
10,045 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a fantastic reply Kiss4. I had never found that site. Only problem I see is that it will only service USA addresses. Canada does not even exist on the list, despite it saying "State, Province or Territory". I'll have to see if there is a work around.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also checked out the Sears parts site, thank you. Again Canada is not on their mailing list. Did someone build a border on the northern border too?
Interestingly, the part numbers for the Sears, Kobalt and Greenworks are IDENTICAL. They were obviously made in the same factory out of different coloured plastic.
I will try the Canada/USA Greenworks number again tomorrow.

·
Retired Moderator
10,045 Posts
If you can't get it just PM me for address and send $$. I can order it and then send it to you. I'm in 54016 so whatever the postage is from here to you, not looking to make anything on the deal.
Just want to make sure you understand whatever you have me order I'll send but if it's not the right part or doesn't fit I really don't want to be in the middle of that nightmare.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Kiss4, thank you for the offer. I had wondered about that possibility, somehow. Now - would you believe, I phoned Greenworks (turns out to be in Ontario) this morning asked to order that PCB by part number. The very helpful woman replied "certainly, yes it is in stock, it will cost $28.87 (and that is CAN$), will be shipped by Fedex" , freight included!
What the hell has been going on when I get the run around from Lowes, their recommended local repair depot, their supposed parts supplier Mecanair (in Quebec) all telling me they can't get the part, and can't repair it.
So now I am trying to wait patiently for the 7-10 days for it to arrive, and then try it. If it is wrong, oh well, just $29 for the attempt. If it is the motor at fault, that will be $60CAN, freight included.

·
Retired Moderator
10,045 Posts
Going to feel like an eternity till that board shows up. All ya can do is wait.

Kind of sounds like the nightmare we call the presidential election !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the new motor control board from Greenworks Canada, via Mecanair (Quebec) this week. The part number basically is the same as the old board, 356201630, BUT the old board had AB at the end, the new board has AC at the end.
All but one of the plugs and sockets matched up to the snow blower wiring. The plug that differed had 3 wires instead of 2. Two wires matched the blower wiring colours, but no indication what the third wire was for. After playing around I found that by connecting it to switched power the machine runs like new! Still waiting for Greenworks to answer my email as to what this wire is for and where it should go.
So, service from Greenworks is 50/50 for parts ad support.
Thanks to the forum for attempts to help me.

·
Retired Moderator
10,045 Posts
Curious how this turns out, please update when you get an answer.

Glad you got it running
woo hoo.gif

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I must say I have had great customer service via email with Greenworks Canada. They had a tech explain briefly what the extra wire was for on the newer PCB. Didn't really explain how it should be connected, but I hooked it to the power switch and the blower works like new.
Lowes also came through giving me a partial credit for the original snow blower purchase 3 years ago. Can't complain about that.
Just waiting for the possibility of a wiring diagram from a tech at Greenworks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts