Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I needed to remove the 8.4" traction pulley on my old 924116 Ariens blower to replace the idler tension spring behind it. Problem was how to remove the nut while holding the pulley firm enough and not have it turn with the nut. Researched old threads on here and the solution was to use an impact wrench. Great except I discovered I didn't have a 15/16" impact socket on hand. So I tried this idea and it worked really well. I used a bar clamp to grip on the V belt between the engine pulley and the large pulley as shown in the photo below. I had left the belt guard mounted on the right hand side and the right hand clamp pad nicely rested against the bolt head. The nut came loose very easily using this method.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Fender Automotive exterior

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Great idea. And Welcome! I've used a similar idea in other applications.

Reactions: Mikosh

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Air Gun. Zip, and off. The make decent electric ones as well

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Air Gun. Zip, and off. The make decent electric ones as well
I agree but if you read my post I wasn't able to use mine due to not having a 15/16" socket. I wanted to get the job done today and not waste time driving 10 miles to the nearest hardware store. In the end this method worked much faster than dragging a power cord or air line out to my back shed to operate an impact wrench so I decided to post here as an alternative method.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Cool. Every day we seem to find a new use for the grip clamps..

Reactions: Mikosh
1 - 9 of 9 Posts