Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm still working on painting my snapper snowblower, but I just couldn't pass this up. I got it for $80, It runs and the auger engages but there is a problem with the drive system. The guy I got it from said it was an issue with the linkage.

DSCF6946 by HDXbus, on Flickr

DSCF6949 by HDXbus, on Flickr

DSCF6950 by HDXbus, on Flickr

DSCF6947 by HDXbus, on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
that looks like a nice ariens to get back into working order, congrats

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I cannot believe how well built this thing is, it must weigh 250 pounds. It is a Gard-N-Yard which means it is either a 1963 or 1964.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Good Score! The Quality of the Old Ariens is Second to None. I was getting parts Yesterday, and couldn't help but notice how Cheap the New Machines are compared to the Older Ones. Just the State of Manufacturing These Days, I Guess.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Real nice blower.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tecumseh engine
Model: H60-75003 Then it is hard to make out the last number/letter a B or 8
Serial: 3280 04333

·
Registered
550 Posts
What did you replace in the drive?

The rubber friction disc on my dads '67 is cracked. Looks like a real PIA to replace. Still works...just jinxed myself.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
what did this huge pain involve ? ( just for possible future reference)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
First you have to remove the whole assembly to change the friction disk. The spring for the clutch was really hard to remove, it was in the back corner behind the whole assembly. A rod holding the assembly in the machine had a spacer that was frozen in place which prevented removing it easily.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
I've cautioned people before when they just throw out how easy it is to do the friction disc. On most machines it is but there are a few out there you have to rip the whole assembly out to get to the disc. I guess yours is one of those.

Really nice score though. Glad you have the skills to do the repair yourself and get the old girl back in shape.

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
I think I would prefer a machine with the friction disc mounted on both sides. That just seems like a stronger setup to me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts