Snowblower Forum banner

Latest freebie

384 Views 9 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  guzzijohn
A friend brought me a Troy Bilt mower and Snapper blower. Both running already so not much of a project.
Reactions: 1
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Pushed wrong button so answer myself?? Anyway the Snapper is model 15223 ser. 75058205. Engine HSSK50 67334R 6256B. Not sure of age as decyphering info wasn't clear to me. Interesting condition as it runs like new after carb clean. The bottom end shows little use and friction tire still has mold ridge. Other than some bottom rust paint is nice and skids show little wear. This may be a keeper for the herd.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle tire Tread
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tread
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive tail & brake light
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Automotive tail & brake light
See less See more
Looks like someone rattle canned most of the inside of the drive housing to cover up rust there. May not be as nice as you think.
I think you’re right my friend thought so and 'I found some over spray on the belt cover. It was just on the concave part next to the chute. I may drop the bucket and clean that up before putting it away. ;)
If it was mine, and I was going to keep it, I would dismantle, clean, prep, prime and paint .... you want it nice and to last a long time, do it right. :)
The engine manufactured date based on the serial # is 256th day of a year ending with a 6, my guess would be 1996 or possibly 2006.
The rust needs to be addressed, as the quickie spray bomb paint job over the rust does not last or prevent it from getting worse.
Free is always good.
Starting disassembly and discover how myopic my vision is. Found a piece of blue paint tape by the blade in the bucket?? Removed the chute and what appeared as shadow was black overspray on the back of the bucket! History of it?!? Archeoblowerology is not easy is it? But fun.:geek:
The engine manufactured date based on the serial # is 256th day of a year ending with a 6, my guess would be 1996 or possibly 2006.
The rust needs to be addressed, as the quickie spray bomb paint job over the rust does not last or prevent it from getting worse.
Free is always good.
From the '90s was my guess.
The way the bucket is made says older. Sides attached with torx head bolts. Thicker than newer metal and no big sheets of poor paint flaking off. Next must get the augers off to check gear condition. Mowers and helping neighbor install trailer hitch is slowing progress plus beautiful riding weather!:cool:
Got snapper apart and gears are good. Pix show the grease had melted the paint so it ended up sitting in case at a funny angle. Ready to attack bucket rust. Whoever spotted the rattle can evidence shouldn’t see the thick wave that flowed down under the chute mount area. Sold a mower and got her old one as gift??- thought maybe good engine. At some point it hit something big, bent crank, kept using, mount holes 1”+ huge cracks elsewhere. It is cousin to Troy Bilt I’m selling so swapped front wheels as they had tread left. Scrapper item unless I found china 159cc crank. It gets better. Today got ‘04 Snow Devil!!?? I know junk but interesting 208 clone and only issue is the auger gear that’s back ordered to Tibet? As the Chinese are great copiers perhaps the gear is a clone too. The whole auger drive might be a copy. :unsure:

See less See more
1 - 10 of 10 Posts