Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey All,

Well, I felt like I should share my experience on the latest tweak/repair made to the old Ford Snowblower.

Going back a few years, I finally wore thru the stamped steel skids that the machine came with as original equipment. I searched around locally for a set of something to replace those with. I had an old Craftsman machine in the interim, which had thin wheels on each side of the auger, and I had always wanted to try and find something that I could modify to go that same route with the Ford. But did not have much luck, and finally settled upon a set of 'universal' skids, that had a system of disc-like mounting plates, to allow for odd bolt spacing. These skids had a 'sacrificial' skid surface that was attached via screws, to the main body. I thought they were a good solution at the time. They slid 'OK across the surface, but I still felt like I was fighting the machine little bit. Maybe due to not being set correctly or who knows what.

Well, end of last season I finally wore thru those. A few trips around town to the places that I thought I had acquired those skids returned a few questioning looks from the shop staff, seemed that either I was mis-remembering where they originally came from, or they were a lot older than I could recall. Needless to say, I was not able to ever find replacement 'shoes' for those skids.

My Ford ST 726 turns out, is a somewhat rare item. Did eventually determine that it was built by Jacobsen and re-badged for Ford. But still, not many sources locally had a clue on parts. Have a 2.25" bolt spread on the skid mounting, which did not leave me with many options at all.

I decided to give Snowblowerskids.com a try. They actually had a set of skids that would fit 2.25" bolts without modifications. So I placed an order.

What arrived was much 'beefier' than I had expected, even after seeing the pictures online. Now armed with a bit more knowledge than even what I had last time I replaced the skids, I set to mounting these new pieces. Took the time to level the machine first, and evenly spaced the scraper bar, then bolted everything into place.

WOW, I can hardly believe how well the machine tracks now. These new skids offer great support, and have made using the machine so much easier. Forward, reverse, and course adjustments, are absolutely smooth and effortless.

I only have a couple outings on the machine so far this year. Will be curious to see how these wear over time, but as of now I am still super-high on these skids. Price was reasonable, and install was super-easy, no creativity of guesswork needed.

I have attached a shot of the 'old' skids alongside the machine with the new skids in place, for reference. Yes, I did use them last year in their 'worn-thru' state, because I had no choice. Got them off as soon as the snow went away last spring, same time I cracked it open and put a new belt on, had never done that before, took it and paid someone to do it last time. But had much more fun tackling the task on my own, and learned more about the machine in the process.

But if anyone has been on the fence about trying these skids, I would not hesitate to recommend giving them a try.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
+1 on the skids from snowblowerskids.com.
Bob is a nice guy and has a very good quality product. I don't run them myself but some of the guys here use them and as far as I know everybody has been very pleased with them.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have attached a shot of the 'old' skids alongside the machine with the new skids in place, for reference.
I see no photos attached. Did you forget something? :emoticon-object-028

I bought a set of Bob's skids this fall for my Toro, installed them, but as of now, still haven't had the chance to try them out because of our unseasonable lack of snow. They are outstanding examples of workmanship and quality materials, without a doubt.
http://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/snowblowerskids-com/73337-skids-my-2003-toro-826-le-power-max.html

You should post your comments on your skids in the snowblowerskids.com forum here at the site:
snowblowerskids.com - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

·
Registered
191 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
snowblowerskids

love my new snowblowerskids....made to last forever and do easily glide over the 8 or so cracks in my sidewalk.....no more sudden stops. Even got them on sale :) Was a 5 min install.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
I don't have a problem seeing it. Here it is.

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
He went back and edited his original post.
When the message first appeared, there was no image.
Seriously.........

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He went back an edited his original post.
When the message first appeared, there was no image.
Seriously.........
It's true. I was trying to post a pic from my Google images. Had done it before successfully, not sure where things went awry the first post, and a few tries afterwards, LOL!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Tom,
Thanks for covering for me. :goodjob:

Looks like you figured out the URL copy and paste routine from another source posted on the net.
You can also attach images directly from file, but they have to be clicked on by the reader to see them full size.
I like the URL thing better myself......just seems more direct and to the point of whatever the writer is attempting to show, full size right from the get go.

Regards,
Steve

btw... those old skids were really shot! Wow!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
btw... those old skids were really shot! Wow!
Yes, very much so. The leading edge 'tails' had also bent upwards as you see, from hitting heaved sidewalk, etc. The new Snowblowerskids upgrades just slide right up and over, it is amazing.

You can see how the old ones were a half-way decent idea, with the replaceable wear surface. But obviously, wherever I did source them from, did not continue to carry the skids or the wear surface shoes. . .

I did smile when I threw them in the trash and out of my life.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts