Snowblower Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to get a lawn or garden tractor and right now i'm looking at a john deere 180 and a toro 16-44hxl. i want to be able to put a snowblower attachment and a rear bagger on my tractor. what else should i look for and of the two tractors i'm looking at which sounds best

·
Retired Moderator
3,149 Posts
They say nothing runs like a Deere. Here's something I usually do when I get a notion to buy something. You can usually tell something right off the bat when you Google what you're looking for. When I did the John Deere, quite a few of the links that came up on the first page had to do with running issues. The only thing I saw on the first page for the Toro was about a belt that came off. Your results might be different.

The Deere has an FC series Kawasaki engine. Deere has a long running connection with Kawasaki engines, but Kawasaki doesn't list the FC series in their product line on their web site. I've got one of their walk behinds with an FC engine, and I've been told that Kawasaki may not back those engines anymore. I don't know because I haven't had any real issues with the engine yet and haven't bothered to check further, but it would be worth a call to a JD dealer to find out.

·
Registered
121 Posts
What you get is determined by what you will do with it. A Murray GT of that vintage with a B&S Twin will give you a beefy rear end and plenty of power. I would look more for value, rather than a specific tractor. Try and get something that already has both attachments that you want. Then, you will not have to hassle with any modifications to make it fit and work for you, instead of in spite of you. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
William, I have heard that simplicity's mowing decks have the best cut. I also have a friend who has a husqvarna. That cuts nice as well but height of cut adjustments are by the inch not 1/2''.

·
Premium Member
5,201 Posts
What's your budget William?
There are a gazilliion tractors out there. Personally I would stay away from anything that is sold in big box stores. I may be wrong but I look at them as throw-away equipment. That includes some of the late model J. D.'s, Huskies, Cubs and etc. You ought to wander over to mytractorforum.com and go to the Garden tractor section. A wealth of info over there. Believe me, newer ain't always better.
I have a 1968 Wheel Horse that is just wonderful. Had a snow blower for it but sold it. Worked great. I'd put my old W.H. Commando 8 up against just about every comparable modern tractor built today.

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What's your budget William?
There are a gazilliion tractors out there. Personally I would stay away from anything that is sold in big box stores. I may be wrong but I look at them as throw-away equipment. That includes some of the late model J. D.'s, Huskies, Cubs and etc. You ought to wander over to mytractorforum.com and go to the Garden tractor section. A wealth of info over there. Believe me, newer ain't always better.
I have a 1968 Wheel Horse that is just wonderful. Had a snow blower for it but sold it. Worked great. I'd put my old W.H. Commando 8 up against just about every comparable modern tractor built today.
i'm not looking at a new tractor, i've been looking at some older toro's ( naturally :D ) jd's and ingersol 444's

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
Just be aware, if you are looking at new tractors, that modern tractors suffer from the same extreme "cheapening" of the lower-end models, same as snowblowers..
A brand-new $1,200 lawn tractor probably isnt worth buying IMO, because it will be so cheap in quality you will probably be unhappy with it quite quickly..
ALL brands do this, including John Deere..

25+ years ago, these lowest-end models *didnt even exist*..the lowest-cost model in any manufacturers lineup was still a high-quality machine..not the case today.
So watch out for that..

Or..just buy a quality older machine..usually will be MUCH better quality than a brand new lower-end machine, even when factoring in the age..

I bought a 50 year old Wheel Horse for $250, makes an excellent mower:

Scot's Wheel Horse Page

Scot

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i've been looking at toro wheel horse 520's mostly and some toro 15 and 16-44's nothing new. i see some of the newer toro tractors for as low as $500 but that just tells me that there not as good as the older toro tractors

·
Registered
394 Posts
My dads John Deer lawn tractor is built more like a tractor than the new ones. I never really noticed this but it has hydraulics connections on the front and back and a large engine. Not the small ones that are on the new ones. He has been saying he wants a new one but I told him he would be better off keeping the old one.

·
Premium Member
5,201 Posts
i've been looking at toro wheel horse 520's mostly and some toro 15 and 16-44's nothing new. i see some of the newer toro tractors for as low as $500 but that just tells me that there not as good as the older toro tractors
I had a Wheel Horse 520H and that thing was a M O N S T E R. Also had an older J.D. 332 diesel. If I had to choose between them it would have to be the 332 because of the higher torque Yanmar diesel as opposed to the gasoline Onan. Either way they are both awesome tractors. Lots of great older stuff out there. As I've said before, patience is the key.
Keep us informed William. Curious to see what you find.
One thing I forgot to mention is that I heard that Onan parts are supposedly getting hard to come by but it may simply be a rumor. Sold my 520-H before needing anything.

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Depending on the shape, might be a 'YOU SUCK' deal there :D
i emailed the guy and he sent a pic, it doesn't look bad but i can't get up his was to see it until the weekend

·
Registered
22 Posts
i want to get a lawn or garden tractor and right now i'm looking at a john deere 180 and a toro 16-44hxl. i want to be able to put a snowblower attachment and a rear bagger on my tractor. what else should i look for and of the two tractors i'm looking at which sounds best
another good idea is to go here and type in the model number and see if you can get the parts or if they are discontinued,,OEM Replacement Parts | DIY Repair | eReplacementParts.com ,i have craftsman tractors and if you are looking for any bearings older than 10 years,they are discontinued,good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,201 Posts
So William, did you buy a garden tractor?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.