·
Registered
947 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok that’s great to know, thank you.

I’ve never had a Lawn Boy but always considered them to be top of the heap. Especially a commercial machine. But it didn’t look special.

I have a Honda Harmony 215 that seems to run just fine so I wasn’t sure if this was an upgrade or not.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do have a curved retaining wall on that side but ... the weed wacker gets that pretty easy.

The Honda starts on second pull (never first), and the bracket at the top of the handle is pointy and fits perfectly between my ribs if I’m not paying attention. Otherwise I have no issues with it.

I’ll probably pass on this Lawn Boy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
I'm no expert in them, but IMO, one cool aspect of the Lawn Boys was the lightweight 2-stroke, and aluminum or magnesium deck, whichever it was (I think magnesium). I had a 20" (I think) 2-stroke LB, it seemed to weigh just about nothing vs our self-propelled 21" Craftsman. It rolled awfully easily.

Unfortunately, I got rid of it, and only later realized that I think the carb was running too rich, and it was probably spinning too slowly. I didn't have a tach at the time. When I'd get it into really heavy stuff, and it would open the throttle, the 2-stroke smoke would visibly come "billowing" out from under the deck :)

I will say that the Craftsman mulches better, at least, since it has a mulching plug. But it feels like a pig, by comparison, when mowing.

A 4-stroke, steel-deck Lawn Boy feels like it might give up some of the ease-of-handling advantages of the older machines? If you could find one set up for mulching, that would be nice, in terms of giving you more options.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
i would probably say it is worth about $100-150 if it works good and has the aluminum deck. there really isn't much special about it. some people seem to want crazy amounts for them. for what some people ask you are almost better off to go get a brand new mower. some of the new mowers are pretty nice compared to the older ones. i really like the new one i got. no choke or primer and i disconnected the engine brake/kill switch and just installed a on/off switch. a lot nicer than having to mess with that stuff. nice and super simple and very good on fuel. can almost cut grass all day with it and only burn through about 2-3 tanks of fuel tops.

·
Registered
46 Posts
As a Lawn Boy enthusiast/collector we call those Lawn Girls. To be classic Lawn Boy it has to be a two-stroke. Nothing better than the smell of a F series engine cutting grass. The exhaust routes to a muffler underneath the deck and smells like roasted marshmallows. :nerd:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The exhaust routes to a muffler underneath the deck and smells like roasted marshmallows. :nerd:

The way you paint it, it’s like I’m there

I’ll keep an eye out for a real lawn boy. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
the 2 stroke ones are fun to play with but not really as good on fuel. i still have 2 but one needs a new muffler. very loud when used and apparently parts for them are not cheap.

You left out maybe the most important part, crazzywolfie: what is the nice new mower you're referring to?
i think mine is a craftsman but i am pretty sure most of the new mowers are all very similar and using the similar if not the same engine accross the brands. it really seems like most of the new OHV engines are a bit taller than the older ones.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts