Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday we had less then 2" of fluff, shortly after it rained. With 100 +ft long T shaped driveway, it was not possible to shovel or blow.... I'm looking at a plow blade for my tractor... any of you guys have basic setups?

The blade is 340, bracket 50 weights 100 (for 85lbs of weights) and 60 for chains.... 650 and I'd have not only a back up but something for slush.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I Jist want it to push maybe an inch or 2 of slush, the rest I'll blow (too much fun) the 110 is a hydrostatic transmission a here the 100 has a plastic case cvt trans... I found this and I may look at it...rough on the edges but it's a horse

Ford 120 Garden Tractor - Plow - $250
http://newlondon.craigslist.org/grd/5931112162.html

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
OMHO but you should get a garden tractor. Lawn tractors are good for mowing lawns and pulling a cart around.
Those Deere d series are pretty lightweight machines.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
The jd 110 will plow slush without concern. Just keep in mind it's limitations.

I have a cheapo jd125 that pulled the transaxle out dumped the awful 5w-30 oil out and refilled with synthetic 5w-50 as per tuff torqs recommendation.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep... for that kind o' coin you could have a whole 'nuther toy:

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/grd/5912155505.html

:D
That was my plan... see the post above yours....
OMHO but you should get a garden tractor. Lawn tractors are good for mowing kawns and pulling a cart around.
Those Deere d series are pretty lightweight machines.
Yeah I get that. I found a few old ford and deere garden tractors that be a fun toy so I don't beat the deere.
If buying another toy is an option I think he should replicate ragdoll's fleet. :)

http://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103889
I'm working on it... need more green...
The jd 110 will plow slush without concern. Just keep in mind it's limitations.

I have a cheapo jd125 that pulled the transaxle out dumped the awful 5w-30 oil out and refilled with synthetic 5w-50 as per tuff torqs recommendation.
I pulled a pretty big plant put of the frozen tundra this past spring w it hahah

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
From my experience the power won't be the issue. It will be traction. Get yourself an extra set of wheels with either AG tires and run it all low psi,or studded tires. Chains will reak havoc on your trans due to the constant slip than grab characteristics. Even the 2 link designs I didn't find as effective as a good set of proper tires. I had a Snapper RER (Forrest Gump) with AG tires that plowed light snow better than my IH Cub with chains. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks I appreciate the info. Prob won't do anything until spring/summer but just day drink

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I will have to second the thoughts there..... I get lots of light duty big box tractors with bad trans' in them due to overdoing it with a plow on the front. They aren't made for that - which makes me wonder why they even sell the attachments. It used to be they were made to do that kind of stuff...... those days are gone. You need to move to the GT lines if you really expect to use them like that..... Or pick up nice older machines

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will have to second the thoughts there..... I get lots of light duty big box tractors with bad trans' in them due to overdoing it with a plow on the front. They aren't made for that - which makes me wonder why they even sell the attachments. It used to be they were made to do that kind of stuff...... those days are gone. You need to move to the GT lines if you really expect to use them like that..... Or pick up nice older machines
I'm looking on the older side. As many people have said.... 650 for the attachment piece/parts, or 500-800 for an older line with a plow on it already....

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
They aren't made for that - which makes me wonder why they even sell the attachments. It used to be they were made to do that kind of stuff...... those days are gone.
Actually, they were never made to do that..
Nearly all of the "Garden Tractor" manufacturers have also made the lighter-duty "Lawn Tractor" variants..
this has been going on since the 1960's..

the problem is, most people cant tell the difference..and many people just buy the cheapest tractor they can, and really have no idea that they have purchased a light-duty "lawn tractor" versus a more robust "Garden tractor"..

they just assume *all* small tractors can "do it all"..but they cant.

A Lawn Tractor really cant do anything more than mow the lawn..that's it.. that is all they are designed to do, they are a "riding mower" only.
The transmission wont handle anything else..
I would hope that most modern lawn tractors cant take attachments, probably most cant, but I don't know the details.

While a "Garden Tractor" can be a mower, plus a snow plow, dirt plow, use a garden plow, use a rototiller, etc.
its a true miniature tractor, and can take just about anything you can throw at it.
but today, the cost between a Lawn Tractor and a Garden Tractor can be significant.

Scot

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
The worst part about it is they rape you for the cost of the trans or the parts (if you can get the parts) to repair them....... not to mention how much the labor costs are to do the job. It easily offsets the costs of buying a better machine to start with..... you can usually find a nice older unit for less than all that. Some machines like the Wheel Horse still bring good money, but if you look for 300 series JD or older Cubs, Jacobsen, Simplicity, Sears GT's you can find them pretty reasonable. Avoid the JD L series and most MTD (Craftsman, Cub (newer), Polan, box store brands). Make sure to buy ones that already have the attachments so you don't have to hunt around for hard to find parts though...... it can be tough to identify what fits what sometimes.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
Most of the lawn tractor hydros say the fluid is "lifetime". On both my JDs and my Craftsman I've changed out the fluid and very glad I did. The JDs have a drain but the Craftsman I had to use a hand held vacuum pump to suck it out. Went from thick black to clean, golden, synthetic oil and the machines run better. Other thing to check occasionally is that the case, cooling fins and fan blade are free of clippings and dirt. Heat kills the fluid faster than anything.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Lawn tractors have plenty of power for a plow....they just don't have rear ends..or front axles worth a ****. Take $500 and buy a Wheel Horse with a plow and chains and loaded tires...and get ready for the ride of your life! get a 12 hp or better WH and put the snowblower on it and really get ready to be impressed. I've seen a WH with the blower( single stage) have a piece of firewood thrown into the augers, and chip it! I was buying some broken blowers from a man who was a WH freak and he demonstrated it for me. He does his entire neighborhood with it.....fast forward a year.....I now have four wheelhorses, one with a 42 in plow, one with a blower, two with mower decks....crazy.....I'm still going to clear snow with my predator powered 8 24 Ariens or my 4 wheel drive 86 hp ford hydrostat with the 9 ft plow. The good thing about the snowblower /garden/lawn tractor bug, is if you get too many, you can always sell some. One thing I don't read about much here are the walk behind Gravelys with either the 4 ft plow or the snowblower....the performance of the ones with the Kohler engines is nothing short of incredible....for years I had a pair of 12 hp Kohler powered walkbehinds with 42 inch mower decks and sulkys for mowing....in winter, one had the blower, and one had the plow....600 lb machines with chains.....never a complaint. Got an offer I couldn't refuse for the pair and sold them.....

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
GEvening D/D, I completely agree with the consensus on GT vs LT. I sold a few LT's with plows.....BIG mistake..... The new owners think they bought themselves a D8 for $500. ALL came back with bad hydro units. Won't do that again. I know the difference, they don't hear about limitations. One dude bought an LT and aksed "Do I need Chains when I'm pushing OVER SIX INCHES of SNOW when I'm doing PARKING LOTS?????!!!!!!!.. Sorry Buddy, the only thing you'll be pushing is your riding LAWN MOWER back on the trailer. I looked at that WH in Swansea....AWESOME DEAL. If I had more room, I'd grab it. Clean machine. Bullet-Proof and good for another 30 years. $500 buys a lot of older GT's with plows already. CC's and WH's are still plentiful on the South Shore and RI. Last month I bought 2 Gravely ride-on's, with a plow, snowblower and 2 decks, not running, but complete (bad gas from sitting), for $200.... Had them towed back to the shop. He went across the scales and weighed in at 2300lbs. Thats a lot of Iron for $200. I could junk them and make a few bucks. GLuck, J

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 22 Posts