Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!!
So we just got about 6” of snow in Milwaukee this weekend. And I was about an hour into using my 8hp Jacobsen 626 and it stopped all of a sudden and I seen a black liquid coming from the back.
So I pushed it home. Check the engine oil. And it’s completely full.
I love this machine any help would be greatly appreciated!
Bill

·
Registered
267 Posts
Byork,

When you checked the oil, was the oil black? Hopefully not.....

Also, could you clarify what you mean by "it stopped". Do you mean that the machine wouldn't drive forward or backward, or that the engine just quit?

Are we talking about a lot of fluid or just a few drips that you are seeing on the ground where you have used the machine?

What sometimes happens is, that as snow melts on the top of the machine, because it is warm, water will run down inside, under the engine into the transmission housing. As it leaks out of the bottom, it can pick pick residue that wears off from the rubber friction wheel, (which is definitely black), and falls to the bottom of the compartment, and you will see that on the ground.

If the inside of the box is really dirty (some never get cleaned out), with lots of rubber residue and grease residue, that could be all it is. And if somehow the metal friction disk gets wet, and the rubber drive wheel is really marginal in terms of wear, it will just slip, and you'll temporarily lose the drive.

Keep a watchful eye on the oil level nonetheless .....a really good habit to get into. :wink2:

Welcome aboad to the forum BTW!

·
Retired Moderator
9,913 Posts
If the engine stopped suddenly, completely you should look on the left side of the engine, under the fuel tank. If you have an electric starter it would be around or behind the electric starter that you'd notice some oil coming from and you'll see a crack in the case of the engine.

This is just a maybe. It's something to check for. The photo is one where it literally blew out the side. Others just crack the case.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts