Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read that people who have the LED light bar kit that Cub Cadet makes, really like it.
http://www.mtdparts.com/equipment/mtdparts/led-light-bar-kit-753-08484

I'd like one on my 524, but I can't tell if this kit will work in conjunction with the heated grips I've installed? Does the harness for it come with a splitter to tap into the generator output, or will I have to cut and splice myself? I was trying to find the installation instructions for this online, but haven't found it yet.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've read that people who have the LED light bar kit that Cub Cadet makes, really like it.
http://www.mtdparts.com/equipment/mtdparts/led-light-bar-kit-753-08484

I'd like one on my 524, but I can't tell if this kit will work in conjunction with the heated grips I've installed? Does the harness for it come with a splitter to tap into the generator output, or will I have to cut and splice myself? I was trying to find the installation instructions for this online, but haven't found it yet.
Hi CaddyDaddy
I tried to get some pics of my light bar to post but they didn't turn out so well. We haven't had any snow so I haven't had it out. I'll try to post what I have . The light bar has a connector that plugs in to another connector. Not sure if your machine would have the connector or if you would have to cut and splice it in. I'll try to get the pics that I do have up today.
It's such a terrific idea. And it sure throws a lot of light. I may have mentioned this in another post but I have to say it again. Another great innovation brought to us by Cub Cadet !!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Posting the engine numbers might be helpful in tracking down what it has and how much juice it can supply.
I'm not so worried about the power output, since I wouldn't think these LEDs would draw that much.
It's the 208cc Powermore engine. I'm not sure what the output is though.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi CaddyDaddy
I tried to get some pics of my light bar to post but they didn't turn out so well. We haven't had any snow so I haven't had it out. I'll try to post what I have . The light bar has a connector that plugs in to another connector. Not sure if your machine would have the connector or if you would have to cut and splice it in. I'll try to get the pics that I do have up today.
It's such a terrific idea. And it sure throws a lot of light. I may have mentioned this in another post but I have to say it again. Another great innovation brought to us by Cub Cadet !!
Pictures would be great!

My 524 has a connector for the light up on the handlebars and now a splitter to go to the heated grips I put on. So, I'm not sure if these LEDs come with another splitter to put them inline, or not.

How does it attach to the impeller housing? Bolt on, or double sided tape?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Pictures would be great!

My 524 has a connector for the light up on the handlebars and now a splitter to go to the heated grips I put on. So, I'm not sure if these LEDs come with another splitter to put them inline, or not.

How does it attach to the impeller housing? Bolt on, or double sided tape?
I think it attaches with bot double sided tape and bolts. I believe there are a couple of bolts for sure. When I get home I'll have a closer look . I am guessing the lightbar would perhaps come with a connector but I couldn't say for sure

753-08484 Cub Cadet LED Light Bar Kit - ProPartsDirect

This next listing from EBay has some good pics including where the Lightbar connects
Cub Cadet LED Light Bar Kit 753 08484 Snow Blower Snow Thrower | eBay

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey - thanks for sharing our listing at ProParts Direct! I updated the product description to indicate the light kit (Cub LED) comes with everything you need to mount and wire.

If you have questions, give us a shout!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Here are some pics of my light bar. I apologize they are not great. We're supposed to have snow tomorrow so when I have it outside I'll get some better pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
3,221 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Anyone have a free shipping code for propartsdirect.net???

The price is great, just that I have gone down the rabbit hole on spending for the new 524SWE as well as my other restoration. I would love to order up two of them and have both machines setup with proper lighting. I will say with the 524SWE lighting being in the middle, the chute does block a lot of light.

If I end of ordering one or two of these I will be sure to write-up a full install on the 524SWE. I figure if it is that needed, and it can help a few others out, pictures and an install might just help others make a decision.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I figure if it is that needed, and it can help a few others out, pictures and an install might just help others make a decision.
I'm on the fence on getting one, because I don't have an answer on if it will work if you also have heated grips installed. I may just shoot an email to Cub Cadet directly and see what they say.

Update:

I just got off the phone with Cub Cadet and they said there wouldn't be a connection port open to plug the lights in. (Duh), but if I did plug it in, it would backfeed too much power and burn up the wiring harness.
Not sure if that's true or not, or if they just don't recommend splicing into the harness!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm on the fence on getting one, because I don't have an answer on if it will work if you also have heated grips installed. I may just shoot an email to Cub Cadet directly and see what they say.

Update:

I just got off the phone with Cub Cadet and they said there wouldn't be a connection port open to plug the lights in. (Duh), but if I did plug it in, it would backfeed too much power and burn up the wiring harness.
Not sure if that's true or not, or if they just don't recommend splicing into the harness!
See, it is ignorant stuff like that I can't stand... I can see them not wanting people to splice into the factory harness, but to spread false info like that is just wrong. (not talking about you caddydaddy, I am referring to Cub Cadet telling you what they did)

Based on that stuff, if I can find some way to negate the shipping cost, I would still order one and figure it out. If It is at all possible, I would find the way to get it on with heated grips/stock light on the 524SWE, and if it truly is not possible I would at least then add it to my new buildup.

Either way, I figure it has to have a regulator in the harness/inside the unit, and if that is the case it can use either the AC or the DC stock power feeds. That is the only way to justify the high cost of that particular light.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
See, it is ignorant stuff like that I can't stand... I can see them not wanting people to splice into the factory harness, but to spread false info like that is just wrong. (not talking about you caddydaddy, I am referring to Cub Cadet telling you what they did)
Yeah, I understand who you meant. I smelled BS when she told me that too. She put me on hold for a few minutes after I asked the question, so I'm assuming she talked with a tech person.
The part of too much power burning up the harness she probably made up after I asked if it could just be spliced in!
If it's hooking up the the same connector on the harness as would have been used for the heated grips, what difference would it make? :smiley-confused009:

·
Registered
158 Posts
I gave in and ordered one. I will post up all the info I can regarding the product, how it integrates and how well it performs.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Well, I received the light kit today.

Upon opening it up, it includes 2 harnesses (one for HD and one for standard auger housings) with the only difference being a 2" difference with the HD one being longer.

It also includes a really nice template that you lay over your housing and align with the tool bolt holes. From there you know where to mark and drill for the light head.

All nice and dandy, except for the fact that the nice, fancy, slick looking cobra-head wire cover is only used on the HD installs!

I am actually kinda upset that they include two harnesses and only made one wire cover for HD housings. I mean why not make two kits, one for HD and one for standard, only include the harness and wire cover with the HD setup, and only include the wire harness needed for a standard setup. It would make both kits cheaper.

Better yet, make a proper molded wire cover for standard setups.

But, I digress. Everything in the kit is quality made. The light head is waterproof with waterproof rated wiring. The harnesses are well assembled.

As for how it all connects, it basically plugs into the output harness from the engine, then it has a connector to plug the rest of the wiring back into. It also has it's own ground wire, so you undo the ground wire bolt, piggy-back this one next to the original one (it has a longer stemmed eyelet to allow both to fit together, nice touch) and tighten down the bolt. Last thing to do is to plug the light into the harness you just installed.

For my test I did not formally mount the light. I got the new harness installed, plugged in the light, then proceeded to start the engine. I start mine with the throttle setting at idle, choke almost off (I store in a heated garage). I start it and it idles just fine. My stock headlamp is on low (as per idle), and I notice the LED light bar is on full brightness.

I let things warm up a little, turn the choke off fully and throttle up to max. My headlight is bright, the LED light bar is the same brightness as before. I waited a few minutes and I could tell my heated grips were getting nice and warm.

So, I can positively confirm that you CAN use the LED light kit along with a stock incandescent headlight AND with heated grips. Everything works as it should.

Now, I will be somewhat critical and say that the headlight might aim perfect for HD models, but when you flip it upside down to mount it on a standard auger housing it is aimed somewhat upwards, not directly 90 degrees to the pavement as you would expect it to be, so I will need to shim it somewhat when I mount it.

Also, I may add, that you will be obscuring your factory decals that are at the top of the auger housing. Not a big deal, but I figured I would mention it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
As a side note, I will mention that all three wires go into the LED headlamp, AC/DC/Ground.

I might open up the headlamp later on and share some pics. But, if there is a warranty I might not, considering how expensive the setup is. It is a real quality unit, bright white LEDs and solid construction.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts