Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember seeing a thread about lighting but can't find it. I have an Ariens/10HP TEC. It's a one wire deal where the engine/frame is ground. I'd like to add LEDs and possibly a battery and 12v starter. Has anyone added a rectifier to a system like this? Any hints?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Yanmar, I was looking in this forum, not the general discussion. I knew I had seen one!!

That's a good idea on the transformer Coby.

I just installed a rubber utility/tractor light and it seems OK, but I haven't used it at night yet. My plan would be a rectifier into that transformer, and I want to have a couple modest wattage flood lights, and a battery and 12v starter. Maybe a few red marker lights just to show off.

Here's my biggest question, I can keep the battery and LEDs "floating" where they ground to the electrical harness, but the starter grounds to the block, which is half of the AC system. I'm not sure it matters as the AC system doesn't produce much while starting.

Anyone know how much battery I'll need for a 10HP?

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
My lawn tractor battery size is a UH7, or something like that. I buy the high-output versions that Walmart sells. 275CCA comes to mind, but that may be wrong. But it starts my 18hp Briggs twin in the summer. A biggsh lawn tractor battery would probably be fine. Cold conditions, but also a smaller engine.

What size does Ariens use on their Canadian, battery-start models? The older manuals for Tec machines might let you figure out the size of those batteries, if they listed a part number.

Edit: I think this is my tractor battery. 275CCA, U1P-7.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-UIP-7-Lawn-and-Garden-Battery/16782695

1 - 6 of 6 Posts