Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working fine until the L wheel drive stopped. L power steering cable hand lever has lost its resistance; barely pulls at all. The wheel moves downhill; but all the drive is in the R wheel. Any ideas?
thanks!

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
I'm not familiar with those machines, sorry. I'd follow the manual's instructions for tipping it forward, onto its nose, into the service position. Then remove the bottom cover of the machine, and look at what's going on in there. Especially looking for things that are different between the two sides.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I believe the Cubs are made by AYP who also make Husqvarna. My AYP machine has a steering clutch mechanism on each side for each wheel. Both are covered by a plastic cover held by a couple of screws. You can follow the steering cable from the handle bars down to each mechanism.

It sounds like your left side mechanism is stuck in the disengaged position, possibly due to crap and corruption jamming up the clutch finger mechanism, or possibly due to the cable being seized up inside the sheath. I'm guessing that you were OK until your turned left and then you found you had no power getting to that wheel.

I would empty the fuel out of the machine, tilt it up to service, and remove the wheel(s), the covers and see which problem you have, and then clean everything anyway. AS RED mentioned remove the bottom cover as well and eyeball everything there to make sure there is not a broken axle or roll pin.

If the cable is seized you should be able to break it loose and lubricate the inner surface. Of course whatever you find, do the same cleaning and service and lubrication on both sides.

Hopefully it's nothing more than a bit of wayward grit or cable corrosion

·
Retired Moderator
9,913 Posts
:welcome: to SBF pdoyle

What is the model number of your machine and about how old ??

This is a video of an Craftsman (MTD) so not yours but at least it gives you an idea of the rough operation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CubCadet 3X 26 Home Depot. bought Nov 2017; used it a few times last winter and a belt had to be replaced, broken by heavy ice. Only used a few times this winter. Push the starting key all the way in or it won't start at all. That took two hours to figure out; if the plastic key jostles 1/4" out, engine won't start.

Local repair guy said last night it's probably water/sand/street crap entered the housing and froze the cable; and warm weather should melt and dislodge. But today, it's same problem; I don't think warm weather is gonna fix it.

thanks! looks like a lot of work and I'm not mechanically savvy. That video should help though I see no chains on my machine. Maybe I will.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts