Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4 year old Deluxe 28 and need to replace the light bulb. I looked on-line a found it was close to $10 for just the bulb. I'd consider replacing it with an LED. Is there an LED that will fit in the socket? If not, is there an LED assy. that can be mounted? I've seen the threads on creating your own. Rather not have Mr. Goldberg hanging on my handlebars.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have a 4 year old Deluxe 28 and need to replace the light bulb. I looked on-line a found it was close to $10 for just the bulb. I'd consider replacing it with an LED. Is there an LED that will fit in the socket? If not, is there an LED assy. that can be mounted? I've seen the threads on creating your own. Rather not have Mr. Goldberg hanging on my handlebars.
You would need to determine what socket it is, and then find an LED bulb that can handle an AC current at that voltage. What socket is your bulb?

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
I think just replacing the bulb with an LED is likely to cause problems.

If you look in the automotive world, there are a ton of LED bulbs being sold to replace incandescents... it's pretty likely one would fit your snowblower.

But LEDs are very sensitive to supply voltage. That's okay in a car because a car's voltage is regulated to a fairly narrow range. But the alternator on your snowblower is not regulated, and with the reduced load it sees with an LED bulb, its voltage will go up. That voltage increase is likely to burn out the LED.

It's also fairly likely your snowblower alternator supplies AC rather than DC to the light. That may or may not cause a problem with an LED bulb.

Complete LED light assemblies are often desiged to work with AC or DC and over a range of voltages, so they're more suitable.

·
Registered
260 Posts

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
The original light probably is an automotive fog light. is the wattage printed on the bulb anywhere? Post a pic of the bulb. Some of the older where a 184, fog light, if I recall.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Take your old bulb down to your auto parts store, you should find a 25 watt or so bulb there with the same type of clamp on thing and it will work just fine.

·
Retired Moderator
9,928 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
LED aftermarket lighting is very inexpensive.
1 option is to attach a small tractor battery to your blower, then you have your DC 12 voltage at your finger tips. You may need to charge it once or twice a year.

Another option is to purchase a bridge rectifier which cost $5 and use your blowers AC voltage to power your DC lighting.

I put a set of lights on my Ariens blower last year and I'm very happy I did.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts