Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have A 1988 Toro Power Shift 624,with a Tecumseh H60 Engine, Diagram 23 of the Tecumseh engine manual (3-11hp L-head Engines technicians handbook) show my linkage set up. This engine has the governor linkage passing under the Carb.

I removed the carb and most of everything else after this engine over reved and broke a valve retainer and the weights off of the governor gear. Upon reassembly I found a third linkage disconnected, I'll try to explain its location the best that I can, looking at the throttle control lever (the one you use to adjust start,high,low engine speeds)will be furthest from you, then closest to you is the arm with 7 holes (4 on the left and 3 on the right)this is the arm with the linkage from the governor and the linkage to the carb connected to it, in between these is a small cam shaped plate and behind this (cam?) is another wire linkage appearing to be wrapped in a circle with a straight piece of wire on the end with the typical angled to straight offset that would allow it to be placed into a hole on SOMETHING. with out this hooked up some where the throttle control lever does nothing it is completely disconnected from the carb, I am guessing it should hook to the same arm that has the linkage from the carb and the linkage from the governor hooked to it. I have tried it in the top left hole and the second to the top left hole both seem to be a logical spot and allow me to adjust the engine speed with the lever, ARE ONE OF THESE CORRECT????? I cant find a diagram showing this linkage even existing never the less where it goes. Normally if I would have left it in one of those 2 holes and called it good but I am having multiple other problems (carb is leaking gas still, engine is over speeding Etc) so I feel proper set up of this is important prior to trying to set rpm Etc.

Any info on how to set the governor arm to achieve proper high rpm set point? I have tried multiple thing to get the carb to work upon reassembly and it either floods (leaking fuel until it drains the tank, or it gets no fuel what so ever, I think I adjusted the float improperly after trying to adjust it to the 11/64 as the manual say I discovered there is no way I could possible achieve this small of a clearance on this carb.To allow fuel to fill the bowl the float needs to be angled greater than parallel on the side opposite the pin if not fuel will not flow into the carb. BAD Adjustment or Bad Carb?

Sorry about the novel and Thank You For any Help

I Can build a Mountain Motor Chevy, but can't fix my lawn equipment!!!!!!!!!!

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Does this help?

The float will not sit parallel at 11/64. The far side from the hinge will hang closer to the carb.

OK, I just looked at the picture in the manual and that is odd looking.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Look up on the Briggs home page and it will give you the manual for your engine serial number and that is the best thing to have around for your engine and to work with, it explains it very easy and good.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts