Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After you get done blowing snow and you're ready to go inside and warm up you need to finish the job by making sure to remove as much snow/ice as possible from your machine. This is especially important if you are storing it in an unheated area. That snow will harden up and freeze solid. The next time you go to use the blower and engage the auger/impeller you can instantly do lots of damage. Parts will freeze and there is a very good chance of snapped shear pins, gear destruction and drive failure. It's not happened to me but after each use I use a small space heater to completely melt all the residual snow/ice that I couldn't get off. After it has all melted and dried I move it to the back of my blower and heat up the drive mechanism for a while. I use a little ceramic heater and a few pieces of cardboard. I make a small, loose box around the bucket to hold the heat in there. Been doing this off and on for many years and it slways has worked. I'm sure some of you employ other methods but this is my method. It's also a good idea to keep your blower bucket off the floor by placing a bit of wood or plastic under it to protect your floor from rust damage. Don't use anything that will separate if it freezes or you will have a bunch of junk stuck to your scraper bar. Above all be CAREFUL out there. Stay safe and don't overdo it.
A couple other things to remember. Clean around your clothes dryer vents and heat pumps. Very important for a number of reasons. Fire hazards, proper ventilation, efficiency of operation etc.

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
I had mine freeze up after forgetting to turn the space heater on, impeller froze and skids froze to the garage floor

·
Registered
274 Posts
Mines on one of those rubber mats used in kitchens. As for freezing, I've learned that ice forms behind the impeller on my 10000 ariens.
A while back I bought one of those torches roofers use from harbor freight to attempt to melt some ice on my patio. It didn't work well for that, but a few gently blast in the bucket to loosen the ice worked wonders. No ill effect to my homemade rubber mat impeller kit either. Prob not great idea on any machine with plastic pieces.

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Mines on one of those rubber mats used in kitchens. As for freezing, I've learned that ice forms behind the impeller on my 10000 ariens.
A while back I bought one of those torches roofers use from harbor freight to attempt to melt some ice on my patio. It didn't work well for that, but a few gently blast in the bucket to loosen the ice worked wonders. No ill effect to my homemade rubber mat impeller kit either. Prob not great idea on any machine with plastic pieces.
A lot of blowers have a small hole in the rear bottom of the impeller chamber. It is suppose to be a drain hole, but yours may be blocked. Also, they may not work if the machine is tipped the wrong way.

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
You know there BROTHER JOE. back many moons ago when the ice age would set up shop here in the paradise city. and before remodel of the garage. those blowers would go out cold. and come back in cold and packed full of snow. and I never ever once had a problem with them or anything for that matter.:eek:k::eek:k::eek:k::eek:k::eek:k:

·
Registered
646 Posts
You know there BROTHER JOE. back many moons ago when the ice age would set up shop here in the paradise city. and before remodel of the garage. those blowers would go out cold. and come back in cold and packed full of snow. and I never ever once had a problem with them or anything for that matter.:eek:k::eek:k::eek:k::eek:k::eek:k:
You know there brother powershift , The brothers obviously learned very early on that if they tick you off they will get shot , death cert. signed , and buried :icon_whistling::icon_whistling::icon_whistling:

·
Registered
646 Posts
After you get done blowing snow and you're ready to go inside and warm up you need to finish the job by making sure to remove as much snow/ice as possible from your machine. This is especially important if you are storing it in an unheated area. That snow will harden up and freeze solid. The next time you go to use the blower and engage the auger/impeller you can instantly do lots of damage. Parts will freeze and there is a very good chance of snapped shear pins, gear destruction and drive failure. It's not happened to me but after each use I use a small space heater to completely melt all the residual snow/ice that I couldn't get off. After it has all melted and dried I move it to the back of my blower and heat up the drive mechanism for a while. I use a little ceramic heater and a few pieces of cardboard. I make a small, loose box around the bucket to hold the heat in there. Been doing this off and on for many years and it slways has worked. I'm sure some of you employ other methods but this is my method. It's also a good idea to keep your blower bucket off the floor by placing a bit of wood or plastic under it to protect your floor from rust damage. Don't use anything that will separate if it freezes or you will have a bunch of junk stuck to your scraper bar. Above all be CAREFUL out there. Stay safe and don't overdo it.
A couple other things to remember. Clean around your clothes dryer vents and heat pumps. Very important for a number of reasons. Fire hazards, proper ventilation, efficiency of operation etc.
All very good reminders :wavetowel2:

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
I don't know if I read the following here, or in my
Ariens owners manual, but it sounded like good advice.

If you think that you might have a freezing issue, engage
your auger / impeller, prior to starting, and pull on your
starter cord a little to see if everything turns.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know if I read the following here, or in my
Ariens owners manual, but it sounded like good advice.

If you think that you might have a freezing issue, engage
your auger / impeller, prior to starting, and pull on your
starter cord a little to see if everything turns.
Very good idea. Never thought of doing that but I've always either hard a heated garage or I kept things from freezing with a small space heater.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They are Toro's after all..:wavetowel2:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Not sure where I read it (owners manual or engine manual) but with Tec Snow King engines, its recommended to pull the recoil slowly a few times with the engine at idle. Helps get any accumulated snow/slush off of it and prevents it from freezing in the "clutch off" position.

When Im done snowblowing I clear off all the loose snow from the unit itself then back it into my garage, let it idle for a bit and pull the recoil (slowly!) a few times then shut it off and wait for the next storm.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts