Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

What do you think of the machine? The model number is 38580, will that tell you how old it is?
What do you think a good offer would be?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Good looking machine...great pedigree with the 11Hp Briggs on there.

powershifts do have some fairly complex mechanicals that could be boogered-up. I too prefer the simple friction disc setup that @RIT333 refers to.

Another consideration...snow season is almost over; that's a pre-blizzard pricetag.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Unless you are specifically looking for a Powershift (the axle can move backwards in the chassis to put more weight on the bucket) I'd look for a Powermax as they have the joystick feature. and have the more traditional drive mechanism.

Price seems a bit high. The going rate for the 24" Powershifts is about $200. The larger machines (1028, 1132) maybe a couple hundred more.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Honestly it looks nice but it’s definitely way too much for something made in the mid 80s-early 90s. Probably worth more around 350-400 realistically. Make sure every gear works including power shift and check the impeller bearing as well

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've been trying to help a family member find a decent used machine & a few days ago I actually looked at this exact same ad (Toro Power Shift 1132 Snow Blower) that the OP posted. I looked over the pictures and passed on it not only because I thought the price was too high but usually if the seller can't be bothered to provide key details then I move on. It's amazing how people post ads and don't even specify it runs, if it needs any work, etc.

·
Registered
52 Posts
my experience with those very thick auger design because it wouldn’t throw snow fast enough which led to clogs, that is my experience but others have had very good experiences with these snowblowers. The price is a bit high for its age it would be worth around 200-400 (maybe) so its half your call but I would suggest looking at another one

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
PowerShifts do benefit from an impeller modification, as there is a bout 0.35" clearance between the impeller blades and the housing.

Additionally, the impeller housing on the PowerShifts appears the be made of 2 stamped steel 'cups' jointed together (see picture), which is different than the prior generation machines. It results in a more irregular housing surface for the impeller blade to 'sweep' across. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

I added the impeller mod when I restored my PS 824. The thing throws snow far . . . rarely clogs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts