Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
im looking at this toro 824, does any1 know model year and if its a good year to buy. i have a 4car asphalt double driveway w/sidewalk
what problem areas should i be looking at, fyi im a shade tree mechanic and live 30min north of toronto
their asking $300 canadian pesos

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-snowblower/m...wer/1234049508

·
Registered
842 Posts
i'm a toro lover ,but $300.00 CA $'s would make me pass price wise on a machine that looks like a late 70's early 80's model, maybe 93 ps will have a better idea of when toro stopped painting the engines red like the rest of the machine.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I'm not familiar with Toros but I do agree with 87 powershift, this machine does look like a late 70s or early 80s model. Being in the states, $300 for this machine, way too much money because of the age. $250 in the states would be the max for this machine and I probably like to get it for $200 or $150. Even for $150 you don't know how much work this machine needs. It could use easily $50 to $200 worth of parts not including the labor.

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
Might be late 1980's at the newest. price seems a bit high, but not sure how it compares to the Canadian market.

It would be quite a capable machine.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the canadian market sux big, new snow machines retail almost or over 30% higher then states, plus tax 13%.
people are posting prices based on new and toro has a good rep up here in canada. the most i would pay is 200-220, 180 would be nice but dont think he will take it but i need to rent a truck for about 2 hrs for delivery

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
thats an early 80s to mid 80s model toro changed the dashboard in the 90s. at that age its probably about due for valve work impeller bushing axle bushings and belts and the shifters get out of adjustment on those so it may need that done as well. imo its a 100 dollar machine

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thats an early 80s to mid 80s model toro changed the dashboard in the 90s. at that age its probably about due for valve work impeller bushing axle bushings and belts and the shifters get out of adjustment on those so it may need that done as well. imo its a 100 dollar machine
agreed, im cheap and where i live u cant even get a free non working snow blower, people are asking, firm i might add, $200-$400 for old(20+ yrs) working blowers, when i mean working i mean working at the moment w/no history of maintance. in canada we get hosed for new stuff so the used market reflects the pricing. people listing machines at ~$150 are sold as is and barely functioning.
im just waiting for someone how just wants to unload his machine because hes moving and just want to get rid of it, 2 months of searching and no luck as of yet, plus i need to rent truck to haul it

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
expand your choice of brands vinny. you could pick up an ariens snowtek , new, for a a few bills more than sellers are asking for 20 year old machines, home depot etc will deliver ,usually, for free.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
expand your choice of brands vinny. you could pick up an ariens snowtek , new, for a a few bills more than sellers are asking for 20 year old machines, home depot etc will deliver ,usually, for free.
i offered him 170 he said no as he refused a 250 offer, i also need to rent a truck to pick it up, im looking at someone who just wants to get rid of theirs and not 40yrs old
im my area gta, cheapest 2 stage is about $1000 including tax, these are the lowest end of the blowers meaning cheaply made and or 100% chinese.
home depots cheapest PowerSmart 22-inch 212cc 2-Stage Manual Start Gas Snow Thrower $700
there are small independant dealers selling under powered chinese no name snow blowers, no delivery/crap warranty ~ $500-600

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
8hp is perfect for that old school 24" toro. 5hp is too small.

I'll tell you one thing, it's in super condition...it looks like it was well cared for.
agreed but hes not moving on price and id have to rent a truck

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
how could you refuse a 250 dollar offer on that machine? thats a great price for what that machine is
i cant understanjd what people r thinking, at this rate im sticking to the really old school method, my shovel

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
a new toro powermax runs about a grand plus tax in your general area.......could be a better deal than an unknown money pit ? most likely dealer delivery, and dealer support for sure.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
a new toro powermax runs about a grand plus tax in your general area.......could be a better deal than an unknown money pit ? most likely dealer delivery, and dealer support for sure.
for toro more like $1200 +13%=$1356 @homedepot SnowMaster 724 ZXR https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.snowmaster-724-zxr-gas-snow-blower-with-24-inch-clearing-width.1000848538.html

SnowMaster 824 QXE $1,498.00 +tx
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.snowmaster-824-qxe-gas-snow-blower-with-24-inch-clearing-width.1000848540.html
and these are single stage pricing

i would pay 200ish max for that used toro if in good shape, but he turned down 250 from someone else,

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
my apologies for adding an educated thought when it comes to " buy n sell site" purchases. a "good" deal for a snowblower is a rarity in November in Canada.......lawnmowers at this time of year are a different story. jmo

1 - 20 of 34 Posts