Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone comment on the 2016 HSS724tcd? I’m going to be looking at one next week as the current owner is moving out of province. It looks to be in good shape from the limited pictures I’ve seen. I can’t tell if it has trigger steering and I’m not sure what year that was introduced. It’s got electric start, electric joystick chute control and the round headlight. Any info that someone could provide would be appreciated.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have this similar machine in Calgary. Very happy with it, although this was the first time since I bought it new in 2016 that I didn't need it due to snowfall. I got by fine with my smaller HS720 this season. Are you sure it is 2016? I thought the headlight was rectangular after 2015 with the new models.

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
is there any pictures? does it have an hour meter? is it used commercially or for a residence? you can always use the serial number and call Honda to verify age.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It’s the round headlight that is throwing me off as well. I thought all HSS models went to the cowling square led light. It also doesn’t appear to have the trigger steering so I guess that came out in later years?I forgot to mention that it also has the double articulated chute and both side and back skid shoes. I’ve seen the original dealer invoice and it was purchased late 2016. I can’t remember what year Honda went to HSS from HS. I have the serial number so can follow up with that next week to verify it’s age. Sorry don’t know how to copy the limited pics but I will post some if purchased.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Further investigation on this great forum found a post two years ago from Tabora “I think this is probably the transitional model sold in Canada in between the HS724s and the US built HSS724s, which had some features of each.” It will be interesting to see if it’s made in Japan or the US.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Further investigation on this great forum found a post two years ago from Tabora “I think this is probably the transitional model sold in Canada in between the HS724s and the US built HSS724s, which had some features of each.” It will be interesting to see if it’s made in Japan or the US.
If it has the round headlight on the stalk, it's likely the transitional model and is prior to 2016. Could be a leftover... I believe the USA-built HSS724 models all had the LED headlight mounted down in the housing. You'll need to go by the 4-character serial number prefix... Post pictures!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it has the round headlight on the stalk, it's likely the transitional model and is prior to 2016. Could be a leftover... I believe the USA-built HSS724 models all had the LED headlight mounted down in the housing. You'll need to go by the 4-character serial number prefix... Post pictures!
Thanks for this. It was this SBJJ prefix that lead me to your post of two years ago. It does have the round bracketed headlight. Any idea if this Canadian transition model is from Japan or the US?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
...It was this SBJJ prefix...It does have the round bracketed headlight. Any idea if this Canadian transition model is from Japan or the US?
I believe that was built in Japan. Does it have the short auger housing? A USA-built HSS has a housing height of 21.7 in.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took a road trip today 160 km’s (100 miles) to look at it and made the deal. It looks to be in good shape, housing isn’t dinged or rusted out probably thanks to the fact that it has both rear and side skid shoes, The steel articulated chute also looks clean for its age (had been operated on an interlock brick driveway). This unit has the right side transmission grease nipple which I was also glad to see. I’ve attached a couple of pics. The prior owner had sprayed the housing with a rust chek spray so that’s why it looks wet in the pics. An oil change, fuel dump and cleaning is on the agenda for tomorrow.
9638C3BB-791C-4613-B478-13E8F393B3BD.jpeg
30B9E504-C1DD-48FD-928D-2F5CB1DADACD.jpeg

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
looks good. has the good chute . I would get the Honda HSS shop manual. Save you lots of time and money. Looks like a real work horse. The electric start is a bonus even though you'll probably not need it if your blower is tuned up.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’m trying to figure out why the ignition switch does not shut the engine down.
I don’t see any broken wires. There is a small black wire at the starter (see pic) that I took off and cleaned but that didn’t fix it. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I’m trying to figure out why the ignition switch does not shut the engine down. I don’t see any broken wires. There is a small black wire at the starter (see pic) that I took off and cleaned but that didn’t fix it. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
First, check all the wire connections to the ignition switch for corrosion. If everything looks OK there, you may need to remove the recoil starter and fan cover to expose the ignition coil. The ground wire from the ignition switch goes to a pigtail there to ground out the coil.

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
I’m trying to figure out why the ignition switch does not shut the engine down.
I don’t see any broken wires. There is a small black wire at the starter (see pic) that I took off and cleaned but that didn’t fix it. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
The switch is really a kill switch. If the switch is not grounded it won't kill the engine. Check from switch to engine. Not sure about your model Honda but most have the ground wire attached to engine near the fuel tank. sorry don't have picture. If you can find it, remove and clean and then put back on. Could also be a break in ground wire somewhere along the way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts