Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Tecumesh H50

I will have to check this weekend in the shed but I might have one. It runs. Just leaks around the main jet. Maybe needs to change the o ring or
the main jet.
Now where do you live? I am up near Montreal, Canada.

·
Retired Moderator
3,149 Posts
You can probably find an H50 out there somewhere by checking the usual sources like Craig's List and ebay. Any power equipment shops in your area might be able to help you too.

You might also consider re-powering your Simplicity with another engine. GustoGuy has done an outstanding job, and shared his experience through a number of threads.

http://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/mtd/1163-replaced-engine-mtd-yard-machine-5-22-harbor-freight-predator-212cc.html

Let us know how your search goes, and post up some reports on your work for us too.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I looked up your machine's original engine specs and the 755 came with a 7hp Tecumseh. The H50 is only rated at 5.5hp so it would be not be as powerful as the original engine. I had a difficult to start 2 shaft 5hp Tecumseh on My MTD 5/22 snowblower. I had never been all that happy with the engine on my snow blower and it was an average snowblower at best even when I bought it new in the fall of 1995. Besides all new blowers today use an OHV designed engine such as the 179cc Powermore or the 208cc Briggs. The Harbor Freight Predator 212cc is a real nice running engine and it rated at 7hp right out of the box. The only thing I did to mine is enlarge the main jet and the primary jet slightly since the engine is jetted lean from the factory and replaced the Torch spark plug with a NGK BP6ES spark plug which is the stock plug in a Honda Gx 200. I own 2 of these engines. The first one I bought was to replace a 2.8hp Doodle bug engine. I call it the Doodle beast now since it goes 35mph and gets there in a big hurry too and will almost jump out from under you if you are not careful. I will not let any one under 16 ride it or inexperience riders since it no longer a mild mannered Doodle bug any more. I totally dissemble and repainted the blower and I even installed a homemade Impeller kit on it too in addition to the engine swap. Right now it starts with 1 to 2 pulls on the recoil and runs awesome now even at cold temperatures with out the choke on. Before enlarging the main jet it surged a bit with the choke off since it was only 25 degrees on morning when I tested it. I used polishing compound and super floss to enlarge the main jet just a small amount and blasted it out with carbureter cleaner and it runs better and makes way more power than the Tecumseh ever did. Here is a video of it in action taking on 11 inches of snow. The video speaks for its self.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=mrgustoguy%20predator%20&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDYQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DONdFik8kges&ei=L93TUMvPCcfU2QXvyoCQAg&usg=AFQjCNGBihRvn247tz5JJ-7plglYxMTjxA&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.b2I

·
Super Moderator
2,688 Posts
Engines

Original poster mentioned needing a twin shaft motor. Far as I know, all the HF Predator motors are single shafts.

I've seen up to 8 hp with twin shaft. In fact I bought a blown up 8 HP last year for parts and kept the hulk. I may try finding a good single shaft 8 and see if I can swap the cam and cover and turn a single shaft into a twin shaft motor. More a 'can it be done' rather than a need at the moment.

I've also seen an ad for a new B&S (on ebay I think) that was maybe a 7 HP OHV that had twin shafts. they're out there you just need to look for them. Another might be to watch for a junk blower that has a good engine and then swap them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hello I'm looking for a tecumseh H50 snowking engine.
It's the one with 2 output shafts .
one powers the auger and the other one powers the drive.
it goes on a symplicity 755
Look at these two build threads ... do the double to single shaft conversion and never look back !

http://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/mtd/1171-[build]-repower-mdt-6-5hp-clone.html

http://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/mtd/1163-replaced-engine-mtd-yard-machine-5-22-harbor-freight-predator-212cc.html

If your close to Ottawa, I will sell you my original 5hp tecumseh

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Original poster mentioned needing a twin shaft motor. Far as I know, all the HF Predator motors are single shafts.

I've seen up to 8 hp with twin shaft. In fact I bought a blown up 8 HP last year for parts and kept the hulk. I may try finding a good single shaft 8 and see if I can swap the cam and cover and turn a single shaft into a twin shaft motor. More a 'can it be done' rather than a need at the moment.

I've also seen an ad for a new B&S (on ebay I think) that was maybe a 7 HP OHV that had twin shafts. they're out there you just need to look for them. Another might be to watch for a junk blower that has a good engine and then swap them.
I guess it could be done but it would require lots of mechanical work and I not sure it would really be required. I felt it would be far easier to flip the gear box and gear shift lever than tear open an engine and put in a different cam with a PTO shaft. It would have to be the same engine too just without the second shaft. I found that a good running single shaft engine beats a poor running hard to start relatively gutless engine any day. Besides all the new snow blowers use OHV engines now. There is a reason why Ford doesn't make the flat head V8 anymore. Fixing the Tecumseh would be more work and it was never a powerhouse to begin with. The Predator is way more powerful and chews threw the snow likes it not even there.

·
Super Moderator
6,673 Posts
you guys do realize that this post is from 8/13..................2011 :eek: :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts