Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a Toro PowerShift (Found !!!)

Massachusetts, Southern NH, RI area . . .

I've been looking for a Toro Powershift 824 or 1028 model in working condition, but maybe needing some TLC. Seen a few on CL come & go, but just wanted to see if anyone in the area has a lead or info on a machine.

Been trying to stay $200 or less . . . worry about transmission issues though :plain:

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I have a powershift I just took in trade on another Powershift...I would never sell a Powershift in good working condition for $200 though.....$400 for a good 824 and more for the bigger ones. I'll sell the one I have for $200 before I go through it though. It needs a cable for sure....I haven't checked the transmission. Motor and chassis are in great shape...just haven't gotten to going through it.

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you are right about the price point of $200. There are some machines that are less, but they need some things fixed. Sort of a matter of what fixes are easy/inexpensive and those that are not. The best values, seem to be the furthest away :icon-rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A little bit out of my travel range, but thanks for posting those. Good price references.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I've seen some good deals on Powershifts over the years...I got one in Quincy off season for $100 a few years ago...just needed an impeller bearing and service. Most of the time they are given up on because of tranny problems, and most shops are not trained to work on them......the Powershift service manual has a good section on rebuilding the tranny, and there is a youtube tutorial in three or four parts that is invaluable. I've rebuilt quite a few, and love the system. They don't sell as well as new and shiny, or Ariens in SE Mass I've found.

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are about 10 of them on CL within a 2-3 hour drive . . . as ones go off the listing, new ones seem to come on. I think it is a matter of waiting it out.

I figure on re-building it to make it all shiny new. Just don't want to open the tranny and find a mess of broken gears :surprise:

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the gears , that I've gone through weren't broken...they were rusty and not shifting well from being frozen......
That's good to know. I just saw an 828 PS in non-running condition for under $100 . . .

I think 8/28 is a bit underpowered though . . .

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
come on now....8 24 fine.......8 28 weak kneed? take a smaller bite...now is the 8 28 a Briggs engine compared to a Tecumseh? Everyone knows Briggs horses are bigger then Tecumseh horses.....Ask Powershift 93......

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
didn't notice the Briggs engines on the 828's, but just checked and they are . . . I assumed they were tec's.

Briggs flat heads that much better than the tec's ?

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
That's good to know. I just saw an 828 PS in non-running condition for under $100 . . .

I think 8/28 is a bit underpowered though . . .
if its a briggs flathead 828 thats more then enough power, if its a tecumseh hm80 8hp then its a bit underpowered. ive seen them with both engine types

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
didn't notice the Briggs engines on the 828's, but just checked and they are . . . I assumed they were tec's.

Briggs flat heads that much better than the tec's ?
That 8-28 BRIGGS engine will have more than enough RASINS in it to get the job Done. I was thinking aboot this the other day. when TORO ran the BRIGGS engines they used the 8 and 11hp to get the job done. but when they jumped into bed full time with those Gutless wonders of a so called engine. they had to add 2 more hps just to get them up to snuff. BRIGGS 8hp=tec 10hp, BRIGGS 11HP=tec 13hp. and to any nay sayers oot there. THIS IS ALL THE MORE I AM SAYING ON THIS 1.:smiley-shocked033::smiley-shocked033::smiley-shocked033::smiley-shocked033::smiley-shocked033:

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys, I'll take that into consideration.

It seems that the most prevalent model is the 824 - are those all Tec engines ? I see some with flatheads and some with OHV,

Less popular models seem to be:
624. . . I should take a look at the engines to see what brand they are.

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
Thanks guys, I'll take that into consideration.

It seems that the most prevalent model is the 824 - are those all Tec engines ? I see some with flatheads and some with OHV,

Less popular models seem to be:
624. . . I should take a look at the engines to see what brand they are.
6HP=TEC 8HP=BRIGGS,tec,MITSY 10hp=tec 11hp=BRIGGS

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
UPDATE:

Well, after looking at CL ads for the past few weeks, I had a fairly free weekend and made a few calls on some of the Toro Powershift 824's that were for sale. I was able to get this one:

image2-1.jpeg

image3-1.jpeg

image4.jpeg

Model #38542
Serial: 9900XXX

It has the OHV Techumseh and electric start. Not sure what model year it is, but it is probably one of the later years in the production run, based on the OHV engine.

I will check it over, as I think it could use a rebuild over the summer. We'll see if I get any use out of it this season.

Reactions: classiccat

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think you have a Briggs engine on it. Don’t you...?
I just went out and checked . . .
Here is the tag on the engine.

Techumseh80.jpg

I thought only a few of the PowerShift's had Briggs.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts