Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys new to the forums and did not know where to post this one, looking for some engine info, i have a 1970ish yardman snow thrower. powered by a tecumseh h50. motor is shot, need to know if anyone knows of the shaft dimensions and rotation of the engine so i can search for a replacement. exact model is tecumseh h50-65173h. also if anyone knows of a good replacement it would help. thanks for you time guys

·
Registered
200 Posts
Get one from Harbor Frieght they are just like a Honda and are great little engines.
I would have to do some checking online to find your shaft size but it should be 3/4" or 7/8" and the rotationis clockwise looking at the shaft.

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Just pray yours has 1 shaft and not 2 coming out of the engine. You can measure the crank with a tape measure if you remove the belt cover. It isn't perfect, but should be close enough to know what you are working with. The $100 Harbor Freight engine is a 3/4" shaft and 6.5 HP. You might need to move your chute crank as the OHV engines stick out a little further on the side. Rotation of the engine is easy, just look at which side the rope comes out of and picture it turning it your head. Most of them are clockwise from the rope side, counter clockwise from the shaft side.

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Ok, apparently my 10 minutes is up so I can't edit anymore.

The diagram looks like it has an oil seal on the camshaft which would not be good, but the camshaft doesn't look extended so that would be good. Best to just pull your belt cover and have a peek.

Not finding any dimensions on your crankshaft.
Tecumseh 36428 (replaces 30543)

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Welcome!!

Ya, it seems like a lot of the H50's in the snowblowers had a second, counterrotating shaft. Might want to check that out first. If it does, your probably better off looking for another engine of the same. Lots of snowblowers kicking around that have a nice solid engine, just that run poor becouse of bad carbs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts