Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I recently purchased a 10hp 24” Simplicity (Model 1694440) with power boost. From what I’ve read, these are very sturdy blowers, and it should last me quite a while.
I have had 3 snowblowers; an 8hp tecumseh powered Simplicity which was in very poor shape but somehow still moved snow well. I sold that one and bought a Cub Cadet 528SWE without doing much research.
I repainted the Cub and freshened it up a bit, but was pretty dissatisfied with how it worked through heavy snow.
I just sold that Cub and pick up my newest Simplicity Pro for $600. It is in excellent shape. The sticker on the Briggs shows emissions data from 2006, so I’m assuming the blower is in the 05-06 model year.
Are there a few known Simplicity gurus on here? Or anyone particularly partial to them? I plan to post some pics in action this winter (fingers crossed for some snow). I live in upstate New York (Adirondack region), so I should be able to get some great shots.
I look forward to hearing from some of you, here’s some pictures of the new unit when I got it home.
Machine Engineering Rolling Synthetic rubber Cylinder

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
The Pro is a very nice machine. I'd of jumped on that deal you got so quick. If you have kids pick one to hand it down to when you're 90 or go south. Very rugged tanks, you'll enjoy it.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Welcome aboard. A former colleague has a similar machine (purchased new) and wouldn't own anything else.

Reactions: Funic100

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
My favorite machines out of my price range is Yamaha and Honda. Next is the Simplicity Pro series. None of which I own. You paid a fair price though I would have cried handing over that amount of cash.

Reactions: Funic100

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My favorite machines out of my price range is Yamaha and Honda. Next is the Simplicity Pro series. None of which I own. You paid a fair price though I would have cried handing over that amount of cash.
I actually had no idea that Yamaha ever made a snowblower, but after reading around on here I guess they are quite the units.
I went after this blower for a bit cheaper, but the guy was pretty firm on price with quite a bit of interest in it. Which is understandable with its condition. I also had to drive about 5 hours total to pick it up which isn’t ideal, but I’ve done dumber things I suppose.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Pro is a very nice machine. I'd of jumped on that deal you got so quick. If you have kids pick one to hand it down to when you're 90 or go south. Very rugged tanks, you'll enjoy it.
I appreciate the feedback. And yes the price seemed fair, although it was slightly more than I wanted to pay, I feel it’s worth that.
We will see for sure when the snow flies!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Nice snowblower. I don't think that one is a Pro series, though. It was part of their "large frame" lineup which they now call the Pro Series, but back in the mid 2000s, they didn't make that distinction.

I have the same exact one (1694440) that I just restored to working condition, it's on the Simplicity forum. The owner's manual and the parts manual for it can be downloaded from simplicitymfg.com. Some of the parts are priced quite reasonably, others not so much. For example, the upper belt guides are like $24 each, but the lower belt guides are $4.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I know the service department guys at my local Simplicity, Toro , Cub dealership. They tell me if they have to get something to be serviced out of the middle of nowhere like a barn in a field and the snow is deep, the Simplicity is going with them. Probably close to the model year you have.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I’m new to the forum also but like you say it seems they like the Yammies, Hondas,Toro, Simplicity & hit or miss on the MTDs. I’m still waiting to use my Power Max so won’t know what I got until i get to use it. Coming from a 724we cub cadet which was pretty good to me. Went thru the usual stuff, shear pins now and again and one belt when we got hit with the big one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice snowblower. I don't think that one is a Pro series, though. It was part of their "large frame" lineup which they now call the Pro Series, but back in the mid 2000s, they didn't make that distinction.

I have the same exact one (1694440) that I just restored to working condition, it's on the Simplicity forum. The owner's manual and the parts manual for it can be downloaded from simplicitymfg.com. Some of the parts are priced quite reasonably, others not so much. For example, the upper belt guides are like $24 each, but the lower belt guides are $4.
Thank you very much for the info. Have you had a chance to use it yet? And is it equipped with power boost as well?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I installed the new lower belt guides last week and I haven't had a chance to use it yet. We were suppposed to get up to a foot of snow overnight yesterday and ended up getting about 2 inches; what a disappointment...

As for my 1694440, it had the powerboost pulley originally, but as the old engine had a 3/4" crankshaft and the replacement engine has a 1" crankshaft, I went with normal pulleys to resurrect this one.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Im looking at a similar 1390E locally. although the one im looking at doesnt appear to be a "power boost" model. Im wondering how reliable one of these 20 year old machines would be versus a new box store 800 dollar chinese made unit?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Im looking at a similar 1390E locally. although the one im looking at doesnt appear to be a "power boost" model. Im wondering how reliable one of these 20 year old machines would be versus a new box store 800 dollar chinese made unit?
I recently tore apart and refreshed a 5 year old Box store Cub Cadet, and sold it because it wasn’t built with the same quality in mind.
The thing I love about these older machines is that everything is meant to be serviceable, even the small things. The chute control is robust, the controls are all done with linkage rather than cables, and the frames are very sturdy. The only downside I could see would be their maneuverability, but it’s a marginal downside compared to the upsides.

·
Registered
Ariens Platinum SHO 24"
187 Posts
The thing I love about these older machines is that everything is meant to be serviceable, even the small things. The chute control is robust, the controls are all done with linkage rather than cables, and the frames are very sturdy.
Reminds me of the old pickup trucks (Pre 1980's) vs what we have now. Sure, the new trucks are sexy, but unless you need all that to go to the country club, what use is it. I'd rather have something that is functional and I can work on. I agree 100% with what you say. Now, granted, not all old things are good quality, but I think we get all that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.