Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey

I currently have a 24 inch craftsman with a 5 hp motor. Have a lot of problems with clogging even after modding it with the snowblower impeller kit from smllengns. It did improve performance but I still get clogging.

Here's a picture of my driveway. Don't mind the rough condition of the house/yard. This was before I moved in.

As you can see it's a wide driveway so I need something with some throwing capability. I've seen as much of a foot of snow and the snow plow loves to leave heavy slushy stuff at the base of the driveway. That is where my current one struggles the most.

I had my dad bring by his toro 826le to help on a couple of days. That thing is a beast. Looking for something similar while keeping it somewhat budget friendly.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Where are we talking about specifically? New or used? Have you checked proper belt tension? Are you traveling too fast?

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
I'm sure you have been looking for a used toro 826le. when was the last time the belts were changed on your craftsman

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No idea on the belt change date (bought it used) but I did reset the tension according to the kit specifications when I installed it. It's not a matter of the impeller not moving that is causing the clogs. Slush just gets clogged between the body and the chute and won't budge then immediately clogs again once I unclog it. When it gets heavy I set the speed to 1 or sometimes just manually push it. The wet snow just seems to be its downfall. The fluffy stuff flies just fine.

I'm looking at both new and used.

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
used I would lookig for a toro 826le, new I would be looking at a toro 826 oxe. other will chime in with ariens, Honda, an other recommendations. I would also be looking for a toro powershift824, 828, or 924

·
Registered
374 Posts
what you need is horsepower......all the above names are good machines....get the max power you can afford...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Ariens 30. No need to short change yourself with a 28 inch. go 30 inch or bigger with a driveway like that unless you don't mind staying out in the cold for an hour.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like the idea of something somewhat maneuverable. My dad had a 26" clearing path with his and it felt big. I don't mind spending some time clearing snow as long as I feel like I have a solid machine that is making progress. That, and I'm trying to do this on a budget. I have a hard time justifying 1000+ on snow blower. Worth it? Yes, but also a lot of other things I can spend my money on.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
what ever you do, don't buy from home depot. If some thing goes wrong you will be last on the list to get fixed. All so a dealer will make sure your new blower is working at it's best when you get it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what ever you do, don't buy from home depot. If some thing goes wrong you will be last on the list to get fixed. All so a dealer will make sure your new blower is working at it's best when you get it.
Good to hear. I'll have to see if I have a local ariens dealer. I think I'm still leaning to buy used but feel like saving a few hundred bucks and taking chance on a used one isn't really worth it. I'll keep looking for that unicorn deal til the weather starts to really set in.

·
Registered
374 Posts
without knowing your local......It's hard to say.....go with a name that has been around for a long time.....remember MTD makes lots of different brands.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Do you wax your blower not only on the outside but the inside?
Before you use it do you spray something like the non stick cooking spray Pam on the insides?
It helps.

I always thought that most all blowers don't work very good at throwing/blowing slush.
They are SNOW blowers not slush throwers.;)

maybe I am wrong thinking this?:confused:

You guys with the big blowers throw that slush out with no problems?
I would like to see a video of some slush blowing/throwing if anyone has one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My dad's 826le does fine with the slush as long as you aren't trying to run through it. He said he's had it clog a couple of times but after clearing it out it was fine. My craftsman would clog once and it was done after that even if I just went back to throwing snow and skipping the slush it would still continually clog up.

I've never tried the spray/wax approach. I will probably do that with the new machine to just try and avoid having any problems.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts