Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am brand new to the site. Hello Everyone. I currently have a 2002 yard machines 5hp 22". I have a lot of driveway and am looking for something a little bigger and also want more power. What is considered a powerful 28"? Any suggestions? I am leaning toward Toro powermax 826 or Ariens deluxe 24 or 28. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.​
Thanks in Advance.​

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi, I am brand new to the site. Hello Everyone. I currently have a 2002 yard machines 5hp 22". I have a lot of driveway and am looking for something a little bigger and also want more power. What is considered a powerful 28"? Any suggestions? I am leaning toward Toro powermax 826 or Ariens deluxe 24 or 28. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.​
Thanks in Advance.​
How big is your driveway, meaning how long and wide is it?

How long does it take you to do your driveway?

·
Registered
260 Posts
You cant go wrong with either of those youre looking at. I myself have and like the Toro over the Ariens. I really like the Toros Quickstick for chute control.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
Welcome to the forum YardMan :D:D

Those would be good choices. Are you thinking of buying from a dealer, big box or on line ?? Have you gone and looked them over in person ?
Have you taken a look at any Husqvarnas :confused:
Someone is sure to mention Honda and they're good machines but usually a lot more $$.

Also where are you located ? Tells us a bit about what kind and how much snow you get. Good info to add in your profile so it pops up when you post.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Bunch of great options: Ariens Platinum 24 would be at the top of my list. Toro PowerMax 826 another great choice. Ariens Pro 28" or Honda HS928 would be top shelf choices.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Welcome from the Keystone State.

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
i would get the honda hs928 tas, it will chew through anything and will be great for those foot deep storms you mentioned

·
Registered
725 Posts
8-26 is a nice proportion. Even more so with a 12 inch or bigger impeller. I do 12,000 square feet mainly with 26 inch machines as it happens. 10-26 is a very hearty machine. Width isn't all that important, going big will only save a lap or 2 up and back.

I have 8-28 machines that do very well. It's only 2 inches more than a 26 and if conditions start to push the limits you can always back off on bite or speed.

Buy the top line from Toro, Ariens, or Simplicity. If money is no object consider Honda, they are performers but the gadget factor can make repairs painful or prohibitive. With the top line machines you should have an oil bath worm drive and the best construction of the day. If you opt for a mid line machine it may be no better that those from MTD and the like.

More thoughts here

Pete

·
Registered
374 Posts
i would get the honda hs928 tas, it will chew through anything and will be great for those foot deep storms you mentioned
Ok, I recommend that you go with a Honda......I love their engines. I would go with a HS928wa...this is a Honda 9 HP, 28 width, wheels, for sale in America. You don't need a tracked machine. You won't need electric start, they start in sub-zero temp with only 1/2 pull.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome to the forum YardMan :D:D

Those would be good choices. Are you thinking of buying from a dealer, big box or on line ?? Have you gone and looked them over in person ?
Have you taken a look at any Husqvarnas :confused:
Someone is sure to mention Honda and they're good machines but usually a lot more $$.

Also where are you located ? Tells us a bit about what kind and how much snow you get. Good info to add in your profile so it pops up when you post.
Hi. I am in the Northeast. I have not looked at them in person. I have seen the Toro before though.

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
hello yard man, welcome to SBF!! how about a toro 926 or ariens sho 24 if they fit within the budget

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
8-26 is a nice proportion. Even more so with a 12 inch or bigger impeller. I do 12,000 square feet mainly with 26 inch machines as it happens. 10-26 is a very hearty machine. Width isn't all that important, going big will only save a lap or 2 up and back.

I have 8-28 machines that do very well. It's only 2 inches more than a 26 and if conditions start to push the limits you can always back off on bite or speed.

Buy the top line from Toro, Ariens, or Simplicity. If money is no object consider Honda, they are performers but the gadget factor can make repairs painful or prohibitive. With the top line machines you should have an oil bath worm drive and the best construction of the day. If you opt for a mid line machine it may be no better that those from MTD and the like.

More thoughts here

Pete
Ok, I like the yard machine because it is simple and lasted 13 years and maybe more. I just want more power. so you're saying that things like the joystick chute, etc can be expensive to fix? also what brands have the oil bath worm drive? TIA.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

More thoughts here

Pete
Thanks for the link Pete, it helped a lot!

·
Registered
864 Posts
Thanks in Advance.​

either one would get the job done. 8/26 or larger bucket will get the job done. if you garage your cars and have a wide driveway, get a wider chute size. minimum 8HP is a good choice.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts