Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well all the local weather guys are shouting “WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE”!! You know how they do that when a big storm is approaching. Estimates range from 1 to 2 feet of snow starting Tuesday night.

Gas cans, generator, and snow removal equipment are filled and ready. Should be a good test for the new to me Ariens. Bring it on.

Oh, the snowmobile is also ready to go in case anyone calls for an emergency beer run.

·
Retired Moderator
3,149 Posts
Yep, grocery stores were packed today. Chicken Little has predicted 8 to 14" for us tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Yep, grocery stores were packed today. Chicken Little has predicted 8 to 14" for us tomorrow.
We also have a little bit of snow on the forcast, but it says 'Snow mixed with rain' and that makes quite a mess when it comes to clearing it. I'm not sure how much it'll give though...guess I'll wait and see.:)

·
Registered
49 Posts
We got 4" maybe 5" last night, and they are calling for 10"-15" by tomorrow AM here.

I asked my boss what radio station I should listen to, to see if we are closed on Wednesday, he just laughed and walked away

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got done plowing, then edging with the blower, the 2 or 3 inches we had last night. Figured I would make room for the big one tonight and tomorrow. They say we are under a blizzard warning from 5 pm tonight (Tues) to 7 pm Wednesday. They are calling for 12 to 18 inches with blowing and drifting snow. :eek::D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Darn Rain...nothing but rain along the Jersey Shore.... Well, maybe I'll just push the new blower unto the driveway and wash it down....and then stand behind the controls and make motor sounds with my lips.....

·
Registered
93 Posts
been watching the neighbors working hard

officially 17" at Chicago O'Hare field. This now ranks in the top 5 all time snowfalls for Chicago. It is not supposed to stop until later this afternoon.
We've had 60+ MPH winds so drifting is insane!
Still snowing here, so I'll wait before going out to play with the machines.
I'm retired and the wife can work from home. We don't need to go anywhere.
Although, I wouldn't mind going to the shop and getting out the snowmobile.:D:D:D:D It will most likely take about an hour to go the 2 miles to the shop.:rolleyes:

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
you guys are welcome to the 3+ inches of ice here,
I have had enough ice for the day.

I made the mistake of blowing the 4" of snow yesterday. Made for some interesting work today. I usually takes me 1 hour to do 4 yards. Today it took me 3 hours just to scrape up mine. Neighbors are on their own when it comes to physical labor instead of fun with the toys. :)

Woke up to 1-2 inches of ice everywhere. Was a pain to scape up. I kept switching back and forth between the coal shovel and the snow blower. Scrape up a pile, then throw it across the yard. Was some heavy messy slush and water too. Not one clog on the 1977 Ariens 11HP Greyhound 24" with Clarence Impeller Kit. Was getting surprising distance on the mess going through piles about as high as the bucket too.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
We got around 14 inches but it is had to tell with all the drifting. Some places it seems more. Spent most of the day plowing, and snowblowing. Today was the confirmation I was hoping for…

I really like this Machine!!!!

My tractor and plow did great, but they are not able to put the snow way over in the middle of the yard. The Ariens can and did.

Here are a couple of videos of the Ariens.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
....now that you know it can and will perform, can you stop making wishes? :)

Well OK if you want me to, but I was going to start wishing for 82 degrees, with warm gentle breezes and young Polynesian ladies in traditional dress serving us drinks under palm trees.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Rain, minimal icing here. This big storm missed us here in Maryland. The west to east storms somehow don't seem so bad here. It is the Noreasters that come up the coast the wallop us when all is just right. Last winter.........60" in a week, with a shovel. Now I am ready with snowblower, but no snow. Call it snow insurance.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Well OK if you want me to, but I was going to start wishing for 82 degrees, with warm gentle breezes and young Polynesian ladies in traditional dress serving us drinks under palm trees.
Man don't stop the wishes! I got 8 new customers with broken machines from this last storm.:D:D:D:D

·
Retired Moderator
3,149 Posts
They claim we had a record snowfall in a single 24 hour period with 16.7" falling. When they combined that with the snow we had before the blizzard started, we had 18.4". Here's what we woke up to Wednesday morning. The wind had blown a nice big drift down my drive. Had to go out the front door because it was piled up on the other two. Biggest problem I have is getting the snow out of my single wide drive passed the house on one side and the fence on the other.
Still, nothing at all like what other folks have been getting.

The wife didn't want to take a longer video because the snow was blowing in the house.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts