Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm always amazed at the number of loose bolts on these old machines. Some are so loose that the front chute is visibly coming off the tractor section and the 2 parts shaking apart. Seen quite a few engine mounting bolts not even finger tight as well. I guess they just keep running them without ever noticing or checking. another phenom, front bucket bolts, if there's 4 holding the bucket on, 3 may be tight and one ready to fall off. just an fyi reminder, check the tightness. especially on bolts inside the chute. I found loose bolts on the center auger box support on the AMF's. this is a safety issue. if the bolt comes loose and gets ingested into the auger, it can come shooting out like a bullet and hit you, maybe even in the face or eye. dangerous stuff.

another condition I see on almost every old machine that has sat around a while- the idler pulley tensioner will be rusted on the bolt it rides on, giving it a shot of PB blaster works wonders. the machine quiets up a lot and the engagement and running becomes much smoother

·
Super Moderator
2,668 Posts
Safety nuts

Local Fleet Farm sells bolts and nuts by the pound. I've gotten all different sizes of sae safety nuts (the added plastic sleeve on the end to prevent loosening) for something like $1.17 a pound. Almost very machine I've gone through I've either added lock washers or safety nuts wherever I can.

Have not had a problem with them so far in probably 18-20 machines I've done in the last 2-3 years.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts