Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got an ST1136 that i bought used last year. bearings were shot, motor didnt run, etc. ive got the motor running and the case is prepped and ready for re-assembly. which brings me to my questions...

the main differential gear was just caked in old grease. does it just need a new light coat, or should it really be slopped on there?
im putting new wheel bearings in. cover it in marvel mystery oil? or just pack them like a normal wheel bearing? my old ones were so dry and rusty that i honestly cant tell.
the axle shaft its self... it looks like it should be packed with grease? but i didnt notice any zerk fittings on it.

and on an unrelated note, any suggestions on getting the old augers off? those things are dry and rust welded on there good. i tried getting grease into the zerks, but thats a no go. also put a gear puller on there without any luck. heats up next obviously, but i dont want to damage the shaft or augers obviously.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Donnyboy discusses how to remove a frozen auger in the video.
https://youtu.be/ukLJWUZlyCc

If the replacment bearings are sealed, just install they are already greased. If not sealed, you pack them like old car bearings. Put a glob of grease in your palm, hold the bearing in your other hand and force the bearing into the grease. The idea is to force as much grease into the bearing as possible.

I would soak the gears in a solvent to remove all the old grease. The coat all the metal parts, lightly with grease. Becaudmse this is light duty, only a light coating is necessary (but the old grease is oxidized and no longer a good lubricant.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts