Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my 1994 White Outdoor Power Snow Boss 500 ( 24 / 5hp Tecumseh flatty ):
My owners manual says "Slick 50 Grease" for the gear shaft that the friction wheel hub slides on.

Since I don't have "Slick 50 Grease" ( in quotation marks in my owners manual ), what grease do you guys use?
And - do you grease the metal gears as well?
thanks.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Yep....A good low temp grease. Carefully put it on.....Cover friction plate That the friction disc turns on with a clean cloth/paper towel when doing it.

Kinda have to swap sides when you move drive from hi speed to reverse......but make sure you move cloth over to cover that disc when lubing jack shaft whatever side you are on(hi speed or reverse).

For gears you can do the same. Make sure you wipe off excess if too much.

When doing gears watch your fingers when spinning tires make sure they do not get pulled towards gears....if that makes sense.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Lubriplate makes great products. I use their synthetic grease for the hex shaft, I didn't know they made a low temp grease but I'm sure it's good. Many on here use lithium which also is good and probably better than the Lubriplate synthetic grease I use.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I've used Liquid Wrench White Lithium "stays in place" grease in a spray can with success, and it's readily available too.

I'll take a small paint brush, and hold the brush in a paper towel in my hand, and spray some on the brush, then "paint" the fork shaft and hex shaft of my blowers. Then shift the gears back and forth to work it in.

This prevents overspray and gets it exactly where I want it to get. I also store the can inside, like all spray items like paint, lubricants like this and WD40, etc.

For actual grease gun grease, I like the Lucas Red 'n' Tacky. Both my blowers' axles improved (rolled easier) with it. Per it's website, I tend to agree with the claim of "Its especially good for sliding surfaces and open gears".

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
job done, shifts like a race car now

Thanks for the suggestions and tips. Did the job yesterday afternoon. Of course, this wasn't planned maintenance, it was " hurry up and fix it 'cause the next snowstorm is coming tonight and I don't have time to get to town! " so - using what I had, and the ideas from you guys -

I liked the thin light grease idea. But I don't have any of the suggested products in stock and I'm in a hurry. I seem to remember that Lubriplate has molybdenum disulphide in it. I have some camshaft assembly lube that is thin and has moly. A very thin coating worked great. I did the job with the snowblower stood up on the bucket, so covering the friction plate was key, thanks SimplicitySolid, a magazine cover fit in there perfectly.

A quick test drive and she works great. Ready for today's snow - thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts