Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had both my friction wheel assembly and drive plate assembly freeze up.

I had difficulty shifting gears which I believe was the friction wheel assembly but then also had problems with the traction drive clutch where it would go between not engaging even when the handle was depressed to engaged even when the handle was not depressed. I was fixed both problems with first WD-40 to free things up and then used Blaster Lithium Grease as a lubricant.

I'm now thinking I shouldn't have used Blaster Lithium Grease and that it's not going to last. Does anyone have recommendations on what lubricant will last longest?

In advance, appreciate the suggestions.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
First, it has to be clean, remove all grease and dirt. If you have a sliding bar for the friction disk, I put a very thin coat of synthetic grease on it. I then slide the shifter back and forth and wipe off the excess that has accumulated at the ends. Synthetic grease is slippery than dino is my secondary reason for using it, volatile ingredients don't evaporate hardening the grease, synthetic is not affected by water, and the main reason I use it, it doesn't thicken in the cold as dino does so things slide easier and doesn't get hung up. Otherwise I use mostly synthetic motor oil.

·
Premium Member
4,803 Posts

I had difficulty shifting gears which I believe was the friction wheel assembly but then also had problems with the traction drive clutch where it would go between not engaging even when the handle was depressed to engaged even when the handle was not depressed. I was fixed both problems with first WD-40 to free things up and then used Blaster Lithium Grease as a lubricant.

I'm now thinking I shouldn't have used Blaster Lithium Grease and that it's not going to last. Does anyone have recommendations on what lubricant will last longest?

this is a good question. what kind of snowblower and size?

i have ahonda hs80 with the same problem.

·
Registered
230 Posts
i would use spray carb or brake cleaner and a rag to clean up any heavy grime. them a lite coat of white lithium grease. a very fine grit sandpaper wont hurt if the shaft is pitted

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i would use spray carb or brake cleaner and a rag to clean up any heavy grime. them a lite coat of white lithium grease. a very fine grit sandpaper wont hurt if the shaft is pitted

Is blaster lithium grease sufficient? I feel like I should put something heavier on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
765 Posts
I am not familiar with this Ariens model. Are you talking about a hex shaft that the friction wheel slides on.?

I have used a variety of oils and greases on hex shafts and they all have seemed good enough for a season.

As long as it it not getting water in there the lith grease should work ok.
I like a thin film of 10w-40 oil. It is thick enough to stay put and light enough to slide under the linear bearing. And it is cheap! Thicker lubes like greases tends to get pushed away.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
I like a really thin coat of synthetic wheel bearing grease or a few drop of syn oil. I have both on had for working on cars and both have worked great on blowers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am not familiar with this Ariens model. Are you talking about a hex shaft that the friction wheel slides on.?

I have used a variety of oils and greases on hex shafts and they all have seemed good enough for a season.

As long as it it not getting water in there the lith grease should work ok.
I like a thin film of 10w-40 oil. It is thick enough to stay put and light enough to slide under the linear bearing. And it is cheap! Thicker lubes like greases tends to get pushed away.

I’m looking at both the hex shaft that tree friction wheel slides on and behind the drive plate. I can see greasing the hex shaft with heavier grease but I don’t know how I could get heavy grease behind the drive plate. I know I’m probably over analyzing this, but the snowblower wasn’t usable the last storm and I never want to go through that again. Right now I’m in the middle of a storm forecasted to dump up to 24 inches. Yuck.
Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Everyone has their own ideas about this, but this is how I do it. On machines I service to sell or for customers, clean everything with brake cleaner, and white lithium grease. I've seen machines gum up and hard shift with just grease. or oil. it gets sticky and binds the movement on the shaft.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I agree with cleaning using a solvent, then use a fine grit sandpaper.

Thicker lubes like greases tends to get pushed away.
Yes, the hex shaft the friction wheel slides on.

If you use Synthetic chassis grease you won't need to do it every year.

If it pushes away, you are using too much. Wipe it off.

I like a really thin coat of synthetic wheel bearing grease or a few drop of syn oil. I have both on had for working on cars and both have worked great on blowers.
with

I use Synthetic chassis grease. I feel wheel bearing grease is too thick and offers too much resistance, just my opinion. It's not something I've tried.

I’m looking at both the hex shaft that tree friction wheel slides on and behind the drive plate. I can see greasing the hex shaft with heavier grease but I don’t know how I could get heavy grease behind the drive plate.
You put it on the part of the shaft which is exposed, then shift gears from reverse to high, it will spread the grease around. Generally if you can't get behind something, then shift gears to the other side exposing more of the shaft.

On machines I service for customers, I clean everything with brake cleaner, and then use white lithium grease. I've seen machines gum up and hard shift with just grease. or oil. it gets sticky and binds the movement on the shaft.
Agree with cleaning using a solvent however using synthetic chassis grease, I've never found it getting sticky like regular grease, but it is still grease. And if it gums up, it could be old, or collecting dirt. That said, I do like lithium grease in a tube or tub and do use it, generally as a never seize, though I do use Never Seize, it's a graphite paste that can take very high heat.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm finding it hard to get the tubes of lithium grease. Most places have lots of the aerosol version, which is fine for some applications, but there are times when I want to smear lithium grease onto a part. I am a fan of lithium grease because it doesn't dry out and retains most of its consistency over a wide range of temperatures.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I'm finding it hard to get the tubes of lithium grease. Most places have lots of the aerosol version, which is fine for some applications, but there are times when I want to smear lithium grease onto a part. I am a fan of lithium grease because it doesn't dry out and retains most of its consistency over a wide range of temperatures.
You should be able to get Lithium Grease in a small round container (like the size cashews or peanuts come in) at any auto parts store. Maybe even Wal-Mart I have not looked for it for a very long time.

I guess it is quite possible, they stopped selling it in this packaging. Someone please correct me if that is now the case today.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I emailed Blaster Corporation and asked which PB product, if any, they would recommend to libricate a snowblower gearcase, friction wheel assembly, and drive plate assembly. Kinda funny, the company recommends White Lithium Grease (our part # 16-LG) for that application.

FYI. Best. Dan

1 - 18 of 18 Posts