Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally getting caught up on projects and decided to read the manual on my 20 year old Generac generator (Tecumseh MH100). It says that I should have been squirting oil in the cylinder while in storage for the last 20 years.... oops.

What are your thoughts about this, do you do it to your generators and with your snowblowers?

Thanks, and there doesn't seem to be much snow in my forecast.

here's description from the manual:

Oil Cylinder Bore
When lubricating cylinder bore, fuel
may spray from spark plug hole. To
prevent serious injury from fuel fires, follow these
instructions:
1. Carefully disconnect spark plug wire and keep it away
from spark plug. See Figures 34 and 35.
• Keep the disconnected spark plug wire
securely away from metal parts where arcing
could occur.
• Carefully attach the spark plug wire to the
grounding post, if provided.
• Disconnect battery at negative terminal first, if
engine is equipped with a DC electric starter.
• Turn all engine switches to “OFF” position.
• Remove ignition key, if provided.
2. Remove spark plug.
3. Squirt 1oz. (30 ml) of clean engine oil into spark plug
hole.
4. Cover spark plug hole with rag to prevent fuel from
spraying from spark plug hole when starter rope is
pulled.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
i think it depends on where you live and where you store it on whether it is a big deal or not. i picked up a snowblower about a couple weeks ago that the owner thought was seized. i think where ever they were storing it must have been high humidity and one of the valves must have been open and caused the piston to stick to the cylinder. it was stuck enough that the pull cord/electric start could not break it free but really didn't take too much effort to free it up with a ratchet on the pulley bolt. if they had put a bit of oil in the cylinder it would have likely coated things and kept the piston from sticking. most people that own snowblowers will never do that storage procedure.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The description from the manual makes it sound like major event.
I never do it but guess it doesn't hurt if the motor will be sitting a long (years) time..

·
Registered
877 Posts
I put oil in cylinder on 2-stroke engines for storage (> 3 months). I sometimes add oil to cylinder on 4-stroke engines, but usually just change the oil before storage. Also, on generators, I run them every 2 months or so to make sure everything is working well. To me an emergency generator is never really "in storage".

For your generator, it would be good to squirt oil in the cylinder a few days before you start running it again.

tx

Reactions: Kiss4aFrog

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
If going to sit for an unknown long length of time such as a generator, squirting oil in the cylinder is a good idea but seldom do even knowledgeable mechanics do it as it's extremely rare to ever have a problem. Any rust on the cylinder walls is immediately worn away in a micro second upon start up.

Some use spray fogging oil through the carb as the engine is shutting down or use the electric start.

If you use oil, I prefer a squirt from an oil can of a thin oil such as hydraulic or 10 wt. If not available, use synthetic oil, any weight.

Reactions: Kiss4aFrog

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all, I may try it next time I change the spark plug. Hopefully I won’t break anything along the way :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts