Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went to look at what was in a pic as a Toro 3521 but apparently he just found a pic of something similar because when I pulled up he had a 521 in much better condition sitting there, It had a rusty plug and said he couldn't get it to start but I was prepared lol, Pull a new plug out of my truck with a socket and a can of starter fluid just to see if it would actually run. Primed it, put on choke and wow it fired up first pull without even using the starting fluid. Sputtered a bit then stalled out as soon as I turned the choke off but a good carb cleaning should take care of that, Not only is this thing NOT rusted to death for a old machine but it's rather clean, Not just washed clean. A bit dusty but no grime or grease all over it. Well going to go through it and check all the belts and make sure it's all good and give it to the girlfriend for a early Christmas gift. Best part is I got it for $50 lol I've been getting lucky as of late, Got a yard machines 10hp wood chipper and all it took is a quick carb clean and a tire tube and it's all good for a hefty price of $30 lol it sold for $650 new. Still plan to pull the blades and sharpen them but everything works and in good shape, Now the toro for $50 I'll get a few pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did a little work on it today but the carb is REAL dirty, Did a quick clean and changed the fuel line from tank and had to clean out the fuel valve, It was very clogged up. So got it all cleared out and but the carb was quit dirty, So pulled a carb off another that I'm working on but it also needs cleaning, It starts but running rough and pulsing when running but other than that everything else seems good, all the bearing are tight, drive works well and auger works well so just need to get the cleaned carb back on, Took the original complacently apart, cleaned any corrosion out with small brass brush and made sure all holes are clear and everything is moving freely, Just need to get some new O-rings for the adjustable needles which I think may be part of the issue with the pulsing (air leaks) so once I get the O-rings I'll give it a shot.

Reactions: detdrbuzzard

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
good purchase !! wish i could find that same model for that price !

·
Retired Moderator
9,913 Posts
You should have talked him down to $25 because it didn't run and then after forking over the money and rolling it to your vehicle tried the plug and let it load itself for the drive home. :signlol:

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Your just a thief..... lol Nice score

And people are always asking me why I end up with so many snow blowers and mowers. etc. They practically fall out of the sky if you look around - lot's of strays out there.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

And people are always asking me why I end up with so many snow blowers and mowers. etc. They practically fall out of the sky if you look around - lot's of strays out there.
Your not kidding, Actually had to put a mower in the basement to make room in the garage for this one lol spring I'll be selling my John Deere riding mower and one of the push mowers or at least give the push mower away lol Too much stuff and having too much fun getting these snow blowers going.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well today I took the carb to work, put the jets in a ultrasonic and went through it compleatly right down to new O-Rings, Got home and it's pouring rain, put the carb on in my way over stuffed garage and tuned the needles in the rain lol Got the mixture running good then started lowering the throttle and tweaked the idle mixture until I could put it to idle and it just purred, Idle is a little fast but I'm going to leave it that way just so my girlfriend doesn't stall it (I got this one for her to upgrade her 2 stroke single stage) Well I then re tuned the mixture and now it runs solid, Great $50 and no parts needed to purchase other than a little fuel line and a spark plug. Now to fix the loose chute and bring it to the girlfriends and make a little room for the next project I scored today, That's going in another thread but this one is a even better deal lol.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Well going to go through it and check all the belts and make sure it's all good and give it to the girlfriend for a early Christmas gift.
If you want to keep that girlfriend take my advice don't give her a used snowblower as a gift. Instead with the money you saved take her out! I'm talking from experience here, took me a while but man was I oblivious. Just give her the snowblower.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
And don't give her some used thing, get her something new that she can learn on and she'll appreciate you even more for you wanting to be thoughtful.

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts

Not around my area ay more. Used to pick up stuff for little bit of nothing but they are wanting too $$ for scrap metal.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you want to keep that girlfriend take my advice don't give her a used snowblower as a gift. Instead with the money you saved take her out! I'm talking from experience here, took me a while but man was I oblivious. Just give her the snowblower.
LOL I'm NOT that dumb lol but she is the most UN matierialistic women I've ever met, She's already pissed I spent $50 on her lol But plan on getting her a more meaningful gift, I however was a serious [email protected]$$ today, have it all tuned up in the pouring rain yesterday so today I wanted to make sure it starts easy, prime it pull and it fires and sputters to a stall, fought with it for a few minutes and tried starting fluid and all I could get with it firing up then sputtering to a stall, So I decided I'm just going to fix the chute which was a little beaten up so straitened the bent edges with my body work tools and sanded out any rust and gave it a coat of rustolium, put it all back together and it's working well now, so back to starting it, Just seemed like it wasn't getting fuel???! Um DUH that's because it wasn't...... I never turned the fuel valve back on lol but after that light bulb above my head went on it started right up, let it warm up and used the drive to move it around the yard to make sure it was good (neighbors must think I'm a quak lol) last things to do is check the belts and give it a oil change but I've got one of those rare women for a girlfriend, She would rather change her own oil lol so I better do it without her knowing or I might get yelled at lol

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
YAY finally done, Second pull and it came right to life (WITH the gas turned on) Got the angle grinder with wire brush and hit a few small spots of rust and amazingly a can of Rustolium red matched perfectly yay, Well pulled out a bottle of cleaner and started wiping, May wax once the paint sits a few days but not a bad investment of a total of $56

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
i'lll give ya $ 60 for it as it sits......untested in snow......thats a good deal for both of us ! :D

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
LOL you trying to ruin my sex life???? Girlfriend would have me sleeping on my own couch It is for her after all.

·
Registered
407 Posts
YAY finally done, Second pull and it came right to life (WITH the gas turned on) Got the angle grinder with wire brush and hit a few small spots of rust and amazingly a can of Rustolium red matched perfectly yay, Well pulled out a bottle of cleaner and started wiping, May wax once the paint sits a few days but not a bad investment of a total of $56

I've been studying these photos and trying to remember how many years it's been since the augers on my 521 looked that good.My machine has swallowed too many giant rocks from the plow guy who refuses to use shoes on his plow.I always do a pre-blow boulder sweep,but usually miss at least one.These blowers look like a toy,but ARE surprisingly tough.

I set out one day to straighten the augers,but gave up because I couldn't remember what they looked like originally.:icon-shrug:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts