Snowblower Forum banner

301 - 320 of 334 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
We need companies with pensions or we need better education in school on how to make sure you can survive when you retire. A pension becomes a pretty big deal after a while and I would personally take a couple dollar pay cut if it meant a pension.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
We need companies with pensions or we need better education in school on how to make sure you can survive when you retire. A pension becomes a pretty big deal after a while and I would personally take a couple dollar pay cut if it meant a pension.
Pensions are not sustainable. There's a lot of examples out there. You can't get somethin for nuthin. The best solution is you get back what you put in. If you put nothing in, that's your problem. As a taxpayer I'm paying for SS I'll never get. Public employee pensions, and I'm backing PRIVATE employee pensions through the PBGC, all of which before I get to save for my own retirement.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Oh what a feeling.. Crapota.. j/k
My Sequoia has 240,000 and is in perfect mechanical shape. My friend's Expedition, one year older, is falling apart at 130,000. Both pretty well maintained.

Anecdotal, but....

Go past any "union" factory. Go look at the parking lot. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I go by the Toyota Dealership all the time, mostly Chevy and Ford products that the mechanics drive :p
Touche'. :smile_big: There's really no quality gap. It can vary from one vehicle to the other. Most vehicles today will run 100s of 1000s of miles if well maintained.

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #307 (Edited)
The state of "What is Made Where" for Snowblowers.
Autumn 2018 edition.

100% made in the USA snowblower, both the Snowblower itself and the engine:

Honda! (single-stage only)
Here is the update on Honda for 2016:

If you want to add Honda:

• All Honda single-stage machines (3 models) are 100% manufactured (including the engine) at Honda's plant in Swepsonville, North Carolina.
• Honda 2-stages machines (10 models) are also made there, but the engines are built at a Honda plant in Thailand.
• All snow blowers built at the Honda plant in Swepsonville are further exported to Canada, Europe, and the U.K.
• Honda single-stage snow blowers are the only ones sold in the USA that are 100% made in the USA
• Honda snow engines are only available on a Honda snow blower. Honda does not sell their snow engines to any other manufacturer.

Snowblower body made in the USA, engine made in Thailand:

Honda 2-stage snowblowers.

Snowblower bodies still made in the USA, with engines made in China:

All Ariens and Ariens Sno-Tek.
Probably all Husquvarna/Poulan.
Probably most MTD's. although this is not 100% certain: snowblower brands: MTD, Cub Cadet, Troy-Bilt, Yard-machines, Yardman, most Craftsman.

Some snowblower bodies made in the USA with engines made in China, and some models 100% made in China:

Briggs & Stratton brand names, Snapper, Simplicity, Brute, Murray and Briggs & Stratton brand names. A 100% made in China Briggs snowblower was first spotted in 2017, details in post 224 of this thread. To tell which is which, you will need to check the data tag on the snowblower itself (not the engine) The data tag should say "Assembled in China" or "Assembled in the USA"

Snowblower body made in Mexico, Engine made in China:

Toro.
Toro moved 2-stage snowblower production to Mexico in 2013.

Snowblower body made in China, Engine made in China:

And below are the known brand names that are 100% made in China..these machines should be avoided at all costs! never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never buy one of these:

All Power
All Power America
Amico
Beast (Home Depot)
Bolton
Bolton Pro
Central Machinery (Harbor Freight)
Certified
DEK (Sears)
Echelon
GardenPro
Giovanni
GXi Outdoor Power
Huskee
Jet Moto
Loncin GardenPro
Mansfield
Powerland
Power Smart
PowRcraft
Pow'R'kraft
Snow Beast (Home Depot)
Snow Joe
Stanley
Steele Products (Sears)
Sunsay
Tao
Tao Tao
World Lawn
Visita
Yardmax
Yongkang
Yongkang Visita

There are probably more..
(many of those brands also make mowers and other products..I wouldnt buy anything made those brands)
never never never buy one of these! Here is some reading about the quality you can expect if you do:

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/general-snowblower-discussion/6058-new-stanley-36-commerical-two-stage.html

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/snowblower-repairs-maintenance-forum/7586-36-inch-stanley-already-broken.html

Amazon customer reviews of a powerland model:

And Amazon customer reviews of Stanley model..there is ONE 5-star review, from the manufacturer! :wink:
and four 1-star reviews, from actual owners of the machine:
http://tinyurl.com/luf2c24
(update, Amazon removed the 5-star review that was from the manufacturer! good for them..now only real customer reviews remain.)

"All Power" generators:
http://tinyurl.com/yb36bmh9

Scot

·
Registered
1 Posts
Maybe your company needs a pension plan. If the greedy shareholders would help out the working class some all would be better off. The more a person takes home, the more he/she will spend on products and the economy benefits as well. We need to cut pensions for our government like they have done to all sectors.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Toro large frame two stage (power max hd) has always and continues to be manufactured in Windom MN
Excellent.

Don't know about you but Im getting tired of buying things from China. In one fell swoop and without firing a gun, they have destroyed our economy. IMO they don't care about or like us, lots of their products are crap, and it is quite possible all we are doing is funding their military. CV-19 is the straw that has broken the camel's back.

Oh, and speaking of camel's, Im tired of funding the Saudi's too. .

·
Registered
102 Posts
Toro large frame two stage (power max hd) has always and continues to be manufactured in Windom MN
But the engines are made in China, as are the engines for Ariens and every other snowblower. I'm the proud owner of a Chinese built, DR snowblower. This snowblower is made in China to DR's specs and imported and sold by them. It has the same engine as Toro uses(Loncin), has the same auto steer differential that Ariens and Toro use, and is represents a better value for the dollar than anything offered by Ariens or Toro.

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #312
But the engines are made in China, as are the engines for Ariens and every other snowblower. I'm the proud owner of a Chinese built, DR snowblower. This snowblower is made in China to DR's specs and imported and sold by them. It has the same engine as Toro uses(Loncin), has the same auto steer differential that Ariens and Toro use, and is represents a better value for the dollar than anything offered by Ariens or Toro.
Thanks TT, but you forgot one important detail: in your opinion it represents a better value for the dollar than anything offered by Ariens or Toro. ;)

Scot

·
Registered
1,432 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
The Honda GX series engines were made in the USA back in the 80's and 90's. The GC - "Garbage Can" - "Grand China" engines were first made in China, now they are made in the USA.
The GX motors were made in Georgia and the old Honda plant in N.C. a few miles away from the new plant in Swepsonville. The old power equipment plant is now where Honda builds their Jet Aircraft.
All of the snowblower auger housings were made in Canada and shipped back to the Honda assembly plant in North Carolina back in the 90's.
Honda has shifted their manufacturing plants around considerably over the past few decades, along with all of their top people in engineering, training, service, technical, manufacturing and sales in most of their different divisions, Auto, Motorcycle, Marine, Outdoor Power Equipment, ATV, Aircraft, Engine, Power-train and any other divisions they have. They have closed up all of their various training facilities around the country in a "Cost Cutting", plus eliminated many of the top jobs within the company in an effort to save money, plus selling their full line of Power Equipment products at Big Box stores now, causing many of their dedicated Authorized Dealerships to close because of loss of sales of the Honda product the private dealerships carried.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
The Honda GX series engines were made in the USA back in the 80's and 90's...The GX motors were made in Georgia and the old Honda plant in N.C. a few miles away from the new plant in Swepsonville...
You keep saying this, but Honda personnel all seem to disagree... And I've found no evidence that the GX Commercial OHV engines (originally the ZE engines) have ever been made in the USA. Honda Global | The ZE Engine (GX110 / 140 / 240 / 270 / 340 Series) / 1983
I don't think even the old G/GV side valve engines were ever made here. However the OHC GC/GCV and the new OHC GS/GSV engines are.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Tabora, the information you have is from after the year 2000. Honda does not release info from before that time period.
I used to work for American Honda back then so we have first hand knowledge of what went on back then.
I have photographs of a Honda GX series engine that has the "Made In USA" casted on the engine block. The engine was made back around 1993.
I tried to send it to you before and wrote you a private message asking you how I can send it to you, I can't get it to work on this site.
I haven't heard back from you since, that was last year when I sent you the private message asking how I can send you the picture of one of my engines with the Made in USA casted into the oil pan.
Honda changed a lot of things back in the late 90's early 2000's. The info we have is right from American Honda on regular postal mail, that was before they did everything on the computer.
There are not many "Old Timers" around anymore that had dealerships that originally opened up back in the very early 1960's, which we were one of, our first opened late 1959, early 1960 era and stayed in business until recently, so we know what we are talking about and what went on with American Honda. We have been to many of the factories and training centers, plus over to Japan World Headquarters. I have worked with many of the engineers and technical staff and training staff over the years.
Our Dealership owner met Mr Soichiro Honda personally on a couple of different occasions.
Nobody with Honda today can recall any of that information, the "Old Timers" who were with Honda are no longer there anymore, whether due to retirement or Honda doing away with their positions, but we still keep in touch with some of them that are still around.
In the mid to later 90's after Mr Honda died, the company changed things drastically and we all saw it coming and knew they were doing things more for money and did not care about their proven reputation of quality and reliability, we watched the company go down hill ever since.
Many other companies took the same "Route" and did the same thing.

·
Registered
305 Posts
It's unfortunate but a fact of life, things once made here are now made elsewhere along with the jobs of creating them.
There's no single cause, but every consumer has to accept part of the blame. Every stockholder getting a dividend check is another. Every exec that is getting a fatter paycheck becuse of jobs no longer done here have a piece in this puzzle too.
It goes all up and down the food chain.
Unfortunately, you are so totally correct. Most people don't look past their wallets to see the truth, but you do.

·
Premium Member
4,813 Posts
Tabora, the information you have is from after the year 2000. Honda does not release info from before that time period.
I used to work for American Honda back then so we have first hand knowledge of what went on back then.
I have photographs of a Honda GX series engine that has the "Made In USA" casted on the engine block. The engine was made back around 1993.
I tried to send it to you before and wrote you a private message asking you how I can send it to you, I can't get it to work on this site.
I haven't heard back from you since, that was last year when I sent you the private message asking how I can send you the picture of one of my engines with the Made in USA casted into the oil pan.
Honda changed a lot of things back in the late 90's early 2000's. The info we have is right from American Honda on regular postal mail, that was before they did everything on the computer.
There are not many "Old Timers" around anymore that had dealerships that originally opened up back in the very early 1960's, which we were one of, our first opened late 1959, early 1960 era and stayed in business until recently, so we know what we are talking about and what went on with American Honda. We have been to many of the factories and training centers, plus over to Japan World Headquarters. I have worked with many of the engineers and technical staff and training staff over the years.
Our Dealership owner met Mr Soichiro Honda personally on a couple of different occasions.
Nobody with Honda today can recall any of that information, the "Old Timers" who were with Honda are no longer there anymore, whether due to retirement or Honda doing away with their positions, but we still keep in touch with some of them that are still around.
In the mid to later 90's after Mr Honda died, the company changed things drastically and we all saw it coming and knew they were doing things more for money and did not care about their proven reputation of quality and reliability, we watched the company go down hill ever since.
Many other companies took the same "Route" and did the same thing.
That is exactly why I like the older Honda's. I can even retrofit mine now with the new HSS model height adjustment hardware if wanted. Here is an older HS1132 with that. The older models as we have discussed before were clearly built better. The manual chute , the correctly jetted carburetor , the thicker metal , stronger hardware, the stronger trannies , the list list goes on.
Only time will tell if the HSS models have the longevity that Honda is famous for. I go to the dealer all the time and hear the mechanics talk about all the warranty work and time spent working on machines that are only 2-3 years old. That was practically unheard of with the HS models.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks TT, but you forgot one important detail: in your opinion it represents a better value for the dollar than anything offered by Ariens or Toro. ;)

Scot
No Scott, it's a matter of the numbers. For the price, nothing built by Ariens or Toro comes close.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
It's very easy to post pictures on this site, either as an attachment (paper clip icon), or as an insert (image icon 4th from left). I have no private messages (now called conversations) older than about 4 months ago...

301 - 320 of 334 Posts