Snowblower Forum banner

321 - 334 of 334 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
It's very easy to post pictures on this site, either as an attachment (paper clip icon), or as an insert (image icon 4th from left). I have no private messages (now called conversations) older than about 4 months ago...
Tabora, I sent it to you last October so you wouldn't have it , that was over 4 months ago.
I will try what you said about posting pictures. I tried that before the site was changed and it did not work.
I think the new set up of the site is harder to work with than the old site.
I do have some of those pictures on my profile if you can get to see it, I don't know, but thanks for the info, I will try to get some posted.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Those are some photos of an American made GXV Honda engine taken with a digital camera. I have other pictures that were taken with a regular camera that I would have to figure out how to get them on the computer since they are not digital.
The engine was made back in 1993 in America, it is a GX series vertical shaft. Back then they were made in Japan and the USA. There were factories in Georgia, Alabama, Greensboro North Carolina, that was before the Swepsonville plant was built, and a few other places that Honda didn't like to specify because they didn't want the public to know about too much at that time, they kept things secret to the public until the mid to later 90's for a short time, then around year 2000 they moved a lot of production facilities around the world and changed locations of everything trying to cut costs, and did away with a lot of their large parts warehouses and did away with a lot of their O.E.M. parts for older models of their products.
Honda used to Cast the "Made in USA" on their engines, then as they started to cut costs, They stopped casting it on them and stamped it on them, then cutting costs more, they just placed stickers on them that said "Made in USA". It was at that time when we saw Honda quality starting to drop from the older machines.
Back in the 80's and 90's Honda was good with getting parts for all of their older model equipment, not only cars, but motorcycles and outdoor power equipment.
They decided to do away with all the old parts supplies and close everything down to save money, and to make people buy new products instead of repairing their older products to keep them running.
A few years later the GC series came out and they were all made in China at that time, and they had so many problems with them it wasn't funny. Quality was very poor and replacement parts never fit properly. Then they started assembling them in the USA and the parts did not interchange, they were different "part sets" for the 2 different countries of manufacture even though they were the same engines. We had to specify what country of manufacture the engine was made at before we could order parts for them.
China did not have the clearance tolerances like the USA and Japan made engines had, Japan and USA had exacting tolerances and those parts would interchange without a problem, unlike the China made engines.
The GS series engine is nothing more than the GC engine with a steel cylinder liner in it. The GC engines had the aluminum cylinder and they wore out extremely quick from the piston ring friction and piston travel. A lot of people only got a few seasons out of them before they were worn out and had to be replaced, so they decided to make an engine with a steel lined cylinder to make it last longer. They are still a lot less expensive than the GX series engine,don't last as long and are not as robust like the GX motor.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Those are some photos of an American made GXV Honda engine taken with a digital camera...
Yes, that is a GXV lawn mower engine, not a GX snowblower engine that we've been debating. I maintain that GX engines for the US market were always made in the Japan or Thailand plants. Lawnmower GXV engines are a different story, per Honda:
  • The HR214 engine (GXV120) was initially produced in Japan and moved to US production during later production on that model.
  • The HR215 used a GXV140 that was always produced at the US plant in North Carolina.
  • 2-Stage Honda HSS snowblowers have their GX engines cast and assembled at the Honda plant in Thailand, then final assembly happens in Swepsonville, NC.
  • 2-Stage Honda HS snowblowers had their GX engines cast and assembled at the Honda plant in Thailand (or earlier in Japan), then final assembly happened in Japan.
  • Single-stage Honda snowthrowers have their GC engines cast, assembled, and complete frame/final assembly all happens at the Honda plant in Swepsonville, NC.
  • Honda EM, EB, and EG series generators are the only Honda products sold in the USA that are manufactured at Honda plants in China. Even those models get their engines cast and assembled at the Honda Thailand plant first.
  • All snow blowers built at the Honda plant in Swepsonville are further exported to Canada, Europe, and the U.K.
  • Honda single-stage snow blowers are the only ones sold in the USA that are 100% made in the USA.
  • Honda snow engines are only available on a Honda snow blower. Honda does not sell their snow engines to any other manufacturer.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Hi Tabora, thanks for writing back.
The list you showed earlier doesn't list the GXV made in America, that is a list from 2000 and afterwards.
The GX industrial engines were produced in America before year 2000, back in the 80's early 90's that Honda doesn't list on anything they release to the public anymore.
I still have to get the documents we have from Honda dated back in the early to mid 90's about where they were manufactured. At that time they were built in either Japan for world market or USA for USA market. We have a large trailer packed full of paperwork, filled solid with all of it that is going to take months if not years to go through all of it.
The snowblower auger housings were made at a plant in Canada back in the 90's and shipped to Greensboro plant back before the Swepsonville plant opened. Greensboro is down the road a few miles from Swepsonville.
You are really up on your current history of Honda. If you could see all the documents we have from Honda you would probably spend Weeks on end reading all of it and taking pictures of them and wonder why Honda doesn't list any of that information to the public. That is all Dealer privileged info that was not supposed to be released to the public.
We had bulletins and privileged info that you would be able to write a volume of books about, probably a whole library full of.
Our first dealership opened 1959-1960 era, our second opened 1964 era so we had a lot of older info and history on the company, Auto, Motorcycle, Outdoor Power Equipment, Marine, ATV and Scooter, all separate franchises.
I want to get you some of the pictures of the GX engine on a snowblower with the "Made in USA" stickers on the engine, and other "Made in USA" stickers on the Auger Housing and frames of them back in the early 90's, plus like to get you some copies of the sales brochures of the equipment stating about manufactured in the USA and what plants they were manufactured at with pictures.
I have been to the Greensboro OPE plant and others in the USA, and at the different Ohio plants many times.
I am sure if I can get you the info, you would be extremely interested in all of it, you would probably want to bring a tractor trailer with you and take the whole trailer with you just from all the Honda info in it.
Tabora, I would like to be able to introduce you to the owner of the franchise we had, I am sure you would have a lot of interesting talks about Honda history, he has been around Honda for quite a long time.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
The GX industrial engines were produced in America before year 2000, back in the 80's early 90's that Honda doesn't list on anything they release to the public anymore.
So, you're asserting that the GX engines, which Honda personnel again assured me today were made in Asia, were produced in the USA and then shipped to Japan for assembly into HS80 snowblowers? Sorry, that doesn't pass Occam's razor...

My 1987 GX240-TA1 Engine on the HS80K1-TAS certainly doesn't have "Made in USA" on it. @orangputeh, you've probably seen more GX engines than anyone here; have you ever seen one with "Made in USA" embossed into the casing?

The HR lawnmower engines were a special case, apparently, where Honda was trying to break into the U.S. Market.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Honda was in the USA back in 1964 with their power equipment and outboard marine engines, probably most of the people with Honda today weren't even born then. They were in the USA with their motorcycles before that, and their automobiles since 1959.
Yes the GX engines were produced in America, Japan and some other Asian countries. At that time they didn't produce that much in China because their relationship with China was not as good as it is today. Japan being an Allie with America and China being a Communist country, plus the USA rebuilt them after the war and became their biggest trading partner. China and Japan were at odds with each other for decades.
They did produce them here and ship them to Japan, then back here again attached to the rest of the equipment they were intended for.
Honda's philosophy was a lot different back then as it is today. Today everything is about money to them, it wasn't back then. They were more worried about pleasing the customer with a reputable long lasting high quality products.
They wanted to have excellent relations with the Country they were selling their product in, and one way of doing that was to have the product made here instead of importing it.It also saved money by not having to import it or the components to make it here.
Honda was a leader in the amount of their product that was made here, a higher percentage than most of the other foreign companies, which there were many of like Kawasaki, Yamaha and Suzuki, who all had manufacturing facilities in the USA and all made Outdoor Power Equipment, then add all the auto manufacturers with that.
Honda was the largest small engine manufacturer in the world. Honda was smart back then, they saw the market they had in the USA and produced many of their product here to save shipping costs and give Americans jobs, plus to make them feel proud of owning American made Honda equipment that was made here. That was also at the time when there was a lot going on between Japanese manufacturers and Harley Davidson, an American company. It was to help keep Americans from holding a Grudge against Japanese manufacturers.
Mr Soichiro Honda was a very smart person who was also very environmentally conscious and didn't like to waste or pollute the environment.
If you were ever in any of their manufacturing plants and saw how clean everything was done there you would be amazed. Honda was so far ahead of other American manufacturing companies, they set the standards which a lot of other companies tried to follow.
The HS624 and 828 models were in the time-frame of the American made GX series engines. The snowblower engines used different crankshafts than the standard industrial engines to make them "Chassis Specific" for the snowblowers, they also had the different shielding and duct work along with different carburetor jetting and lack of air filter elements, other than that, the engine chassis was the same.
Honda started out before World War 2 making piston rings. After the war, they started to make inexpensive automobiles, then motorcycles for cheap transportation since their country was in the process of rebuilding after the war, then continued to expand into different products that the everyday person needed.
A lot of the information I listed is not available "Online", that was all available only to Authorized Dealerships before the "Computer/Internet Age" became popular with everyone. Most people at Honda today only know of or talk about things from year 2000 and after. You wont find much information prior to year 2000 on the computer of the history of the company as to a lot of their technical and trade information.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
I came across this post today, it is from 2016. I am not familiar with Honda products, not sure if this clears anything up.

Here is the thread: Ariens AX Engine

[email protected]

Registered

Joined Nov 21, 2011
841 Posts
#8 Sep 2, 2016
SnoThro said:
GX engines are majority made in Thailand, not China, and have been for many years at a large well established Honda plant.
Honda Thai plant also makes the smaller GX120/160 horizontal shaft engines. Vertical-shaft (mostly for OEM lawn mower) GXV160 engines are made at a Honda plant in China. The same China plant makes all Honda's large V-twin engines.

SnoThro said:
The GC engine in the single stages is cast in South Carolina.
Actually, Swepsonville, North Carolina (open since the early 80s, and building GC/GCV/GS/GSV engines since they were launched in the early 90s).

- - -
[email protected]
Social Media Consigliere (retired)
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Yes the GX engines were produced in America...
As the MythBusters would say, "until we see a GX horizontal snow engine with a "Made in USA" casting or a USA Plant Code, Myth Busted."
...Honda Thai plant also makes the smaller GX120/160 horizontal shaft engines...Actually, Swepsonville, North Carolina (open since the early 80s, and building GC/GCV/GS/GSV engines since they were launched in the early 90s).
Yup, that's in line with my research.

·
Registered
818 Posts
As the MythBusters would say, "until we see a GX horizontal snow engine with a "Made in USA" casting or a USA Plant Code, Myth Busted."

not even plausible? I love Mythbusters !!

tx

·
Registered
161 Posts
For me, it's all a matter of M-O-N-E-Y and how much I will have to take out of my pockets when I want to purchase something. Yeah I'd like to encourage "buying local" but workers here want too much and are also backed by unions who don't care if things cost more to the consumers. If something made here costs me more than something made in China, well I won't hesitate in buying it from China. It's called "business" and my #1 priority is to use every way possible to get more for my money at the least possible cost. 😕

Claude.

·
Registered
848 Posts
For me, it's all a matter of M-O-N-E-Y and how much I will have to take out of my pockets when I want to purchase something. Yeah I'd like to encourage "buying local" but workers here want too much and are also backed by unions who don't care if things cost more to the consumers. If something made here costs me more than something made in China, well I won't hesitate in buying it from China. It's called "business" and my #1 priority is to use every way possible to get more for my money at the least possible cost. 😕

Claude.
Yes, but Honda is all "Non-Union", they have never been Union, and never will be. The workers get more pay and better benefits without the Union helping to take their Union Dues out of their paychecks.
How do I know? I used to work for Honda, that's how.
The cheap GC engines are made here now, where it costs more to manufacture them. The expensive GX motors are now made overseas where it is cheaper to build them to help balance the prices.
Things were the other way around last Century, before all the different companies decided to do things the "American Way", that is make everything as cheap as possible and make as much profit for the CEO's as possible.
Yes workers want more money,they expect a salary that pays a "Livable Wage" and with everything else being so expensive now days, the worker needs much more money just to try and survive.
America is a Capitalist society, much different than China, where it is all "Slave Labor" compared the the USA. In our society, it is all about profit for the rich and hell with anyone else.

321 - 334 of 334 Posts