Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Heard a story over Thanksgiving about two young guys that could have been hurt badly using some ramps and had them slide on them. Only had some damaged machinery, some scrapes and bruises and hurt pride, but it could have been alot worse. I use ramps and modified them some time back just because of the same potential issue.

I got some 1/2" threaded rod, some nuts and spring clips plus some chain and extra hooks.
I figured our how wide I needed the ramps, threaded some nuts onto the rod to act as stops. Left a little room for the sides of the ramps and drilled a hole for the spring clip

I then added about an extra 1 1/2' of chain and hook onto the end of the existing chain on each half of the ramps

Now when I use my ramps, I hook the 2 sections together with the rods and clip them. Hook the end of the chains to the hold downs in the truck then use the original hooks to take up the slack

You need a couple of holes in the sides of the ramps where the rods will go. It's now solidly attached to the truck and can't slide side-to-side while loading or unloading something into the truck

Even something as simple as ramps can hurt someone, so be careful.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Great innovation HCBPH! I recently had an accident when I was unloading my Cub Cadet AGS 2140 and the deck caught on the ramp just as I was pulling it off the truck and onto the ramp. In an effort to lift the deck the ramps slid back and the whole rig went down. I'm still not quite sure how it happened, but the the tractor came down safely and nothing was damaged.

BTW, it looks like you have a Ford F150 just like the one I used to have...

·
Super Moderator
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great innovation HCBPH! I recently had an accident when I was unloading my Cub Cadet AGS 2140 and the deck caught on the ramp just as I was pulling it off the truck and onto the ramp. In an effort to lift the deck the ramps slid back and the whole rig went down. I'm still not quite sure how it happened, but the the tractor came down safely and nothing was damaged.

BTW, it looks like you have a Ford F150 just like the one I used to have...
That's one of two F150's I have. That's a 07 Heavy Half Ton so it's more like a F250 in height, which makes it even a little harrier to load into and out of. I almost had that 10 HP 3 stage come down on me, which is why I came up with this in the first place. Now it's rock solid so definitely better than without the mods.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I prefer ramps with side rails. I have a set of Ramp Champ telescoping composite ramps and like them a lot. They come with safety straps to secure them to the rear bumper included.

The Ramp Champ Telescoping ATV Ramps

No, I didn't buy them for my little single stage blower, they're for my welder or the welding table. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Awesome idea! Makes it a lot safer.

Those Ramp Champs look good to.

If i had a pickup i would probably do the same, but i have a couple sizes of trailers that i pull around, one has a ramp on it that folds down, the other is a small one about the size of a walkbehind blower, just unhook the ball and leave the safety chains hooked up and it will tilt enough to roll out, tongue can't hit anything as it comes up because it rests against my rear gate mounted spare tire. Crude but works... One of these days i plan on building a flip down tailgate ramp for it, or just hinge the existing one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Good idea have to have a way to keep the kick back from happining. I have a set simular to these nice and wide and cant fall through center. Folds up to 1 width wide. When i put the atv in dont have to ride it can work the throttle from the side no chance of it falling off. I had a 1000 lb. wood burner in the bed hook the ATV and pulled it out pretty safe

·
Super Moderator
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ideas

All good ideas, keep them coming. Anything to help people work safely is a good thing. Hadn't thought about something like an electric winch, but I had thought about a comealong but never proceeded beyond the idea stage. I like the idea of the wide ramp along with the ones with the side rails, but I needed some and the ones I have were the only ones I could get on the same day, so they'll have to do for a while.

·
Registered
27 Posts
old school ramps

Now your making all those who use 2 2x6's jealous!!

Got a utility trailer with a rear gate that lowers to a ramp. When I have to load stuff into a pickup, first drove onto the trailer and then used the rear gate to load into the pickup. Of course you then need some way to get it off the pickup bed when you get to where your going. :(

·
Super Moderator
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Accidents

Have a neighbor who uses 2x6's I cringe when he uses them. For some reason I still watch like a train wreck waiting to happen.
Watching that just give me goosebumps. That makes Chevymans winch even more attractive for a ATV.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ouch !

I'm getting too old to "brute force" lift my rototiller into the truck and I wouldn't even think of it with my generator ! But I have some questions before I buy some ramps.

• How long should the ramps be to get a "reasonable" angle up to a pick/full size van (sorry, no vertical measurement at the moment) ?
  • Solid "floor" or open/"ladder" style ? They will most frequently be used for rototiller, generator, 2 wheel "dolly", etc, but I will not rule out future use of ATV/snowmobile/motorcycle. (...and I'm closing in on 60 !)
  • Capacity ?
  • Folding or not ?

·
Registered
68 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ramps

Those folding ramps make me "nervous" (all though I do like the comapct size when). Have you thought about adding some kind of adjustable height "support" under the hinges ?
These are the ones I have: Tri-Fold Load Ramps - Pair, 6 ft. x 9"
If any complaint on them, the lowest section seems a little steep to me, but I've backed several snowblowers up them so far without a problem, and the truck is tall.
Supposed to be good for 500 lbs per side so 1000 pounds total. I have taken my Searsasaurus in original config (10 HP 32" 3 stage) on them and that had to weight 300+ and no movement what so ever. I've never felt any flexing in them at all though I suppose you could add a support leg is you like.

On the question of open vs step design - I don't like plate ones, I slipped once on a rental truck one. I don't like the ones with the wider gap between the cross pieces, too much chance on slipping there too IMO. These are pretty close together and so far chains have not been an issue if you have them on the wheels.

Not the best, not the worst and since modded, about the best I can do for now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ouch !

I'm getting too old to "brute force" lift my rototiller into the truck and I wouldn't even think of it with my generator ! But I have some questions before I buy some ramps.

• How long should the ramps be to get a "reasonable" angle up to a pick/full size van (sorry, no vertical measurement at the moment) ?
  • Solid "floor" or open/"ladder" style ? They will most frequently be used for rototiller, generator, 2 wheel "dolly", etc, but I will not rule out future use of ATV/snowmobile/motorcycle. (...and I'm closing in on 60 !)
  • Capacity ?
  • Folding or not ?
Reasonable is a gray area. Mine are 7 ft and use them on a stock height super duty no problems. Every ramp has a purpose. Ladder type is best for bigger tires ATV/ Snowmobile or skid type cargo. A roto tiller will fall inbetween and have to horse it a little to go up. No real safe way to follow or pull if you have to walk on the ladders if getting up in age. American made ramps have safety on the weight. Example if the load rating is 1000lb it takes 1500lb for them to fail

·
Retired Moderator
9,928 Posts
With that ramp angle how can you not expect to have some sort of problem.

That just hurts to watch.

·
Super Moderator
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ramps

With that ramp angle how can you not expect to have some sort of problem.

That just hurts to watch.
It's not that bad if loading a running blower. With the connectors between the 2 sections and I use the chains to hook the ramps onto the strapdown loops in the truck and it doesn't move. I just back the blower up the ramps into the truck. If I have a dead one, I have a strap I wrap around the impeller section of the auger housing and I have a small hand winch and drag it up the ramps.

So far it's worked out for me, but I wouldn't do it without the connectors between the 2 sections of the ramps and chaining it to the truck.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts