Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some leftover thick rubber matting used as a runner on steps in the winter. Ribbed on one side smooth on the other - stiff but still flexible. I was wondering if this would be OK to use in an impeller mod.

· Premium GOT Member
10,961 Posts
The worst it could do is break off or wear out. I set my poly material up to rub and wear in. Even solid metal could be used with a little clearance. 🤔
Have you done this? I was wondering about it but that it could cause jams with rocks, sticks and such whereas the rubber has more leeway for stuff like that.

· Premium GOT Member
10,961 Posts
This what I've used for 2 that I did. Got it at tractor suppy.Thick enough but not a pain to work with. I use 1/4 rivets but you have to have the big rivet gun, helps to have the extended nosepiece.

View attachment 207230
much better than mudflap. My mudflap mods only lasted 3 seasons. This stuff lasts and lasts.

· Registered
2,721 Posts
This what I've used for 2 that I did. Got it at tractor suppy.Thick enough but not a pain to work with. I use 1/4 rivets but you have to have the big rivet gun, helps to have the extended nosepiece.

View attachment 207230
Just checked the website...Now it's $49.99.... Yikes!

· Registered
328 Posts
The key for long-lasting wipers is some type of masticated rubber -- fabric weave impregnated with rubber.

Tires with corded belts (not steel) will work. Conveyor belt track is wonderful! In addition, if you live in areas with mining and ore processing, it should be available on Craigslist or FB Marketplace extremely cheap since used belt material is rather abundant.

Reactions: KJSeller

· Registered
328 Posts
Tires with corded belts (not steel) will work.
Most automotive tires these days are steel belted. As such, they're terrible for any kind of DIY project. But, many motorcycle tires are corded belts.

Every other year or so I'll need durable rubber pads for some project. A visit to the local motorcycle dealer and asking for a looksee at their discarded tire pile usually turns up some nice big rear wheel touring rig rubber. I always take along a neodymium magnet to insure the tire is corded lacking steel belts.

· Registered
105 Posts
For rubber material, search for "cloth-inserted SBR sheet" or similar. Rubber-Cal is one manufacturer. $20 or so shipped, for enough to do several.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts