Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all, I paid a lot of money this winter to have my drive way plowed several times because I have a very large driveway and we have had record snows this winter. I have decided to buy a snow blower for next winter. I have been doing a lot of research and have decided on an Ariens. This may seem like a dumb question but I haven't found any thing about it posted anywhere. I have a very large driveway and it is all gravel. Will a snow blower throw gravel every where while it is throwing snow? I don't see how this could be avoided. I would hate to have to rake a ton of gravel from my yard in the spring and maybr replace a few windows. Someone must have a gravel driveway and know what will happen when blowing snow from it. Thanks for any info on the subject.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I found in my previous experience that if the ground isn't frozen then yes it will throw alot of gravel! If the ground is frozen it might pick up some errant pieces but nowhere near the amount on unfrozen ground. It's just like snowplowing. How many times have you had chunks of grass and gravel from your drive show up in the pile of snow on unfrozen ground? When the ground freezes it becomes less and less!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
most snowblower manuals will instruct you to move the adjustable skids on the bottom to their highest point so you leave 2 inches of snow on the ground until that snow becomes packed. then after the 2 inches packs down you can lower the skids. see "runners" on page gb-22 in the below manual. i would personally leave more room than the ariens manual below says.

http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/02497200D_ENG.pdf

·
Retired Moderator
3,149 Posts

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Besides moving the skids to bring the machine up all the way, I'm surprised no one made a rounded cutting edge so that the machine floats over the stones instead if scooping them up with a normal cutting edge.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts