Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what to spray in my tank since it is now totally empty to prevent rust?

Thanks to anyone who can answer this!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Just wondering what to spray in my tank since it is now totally empty to prevent rust?

Thanks to anyone who can answer this!
How old is the tank?
Is there any rust in it now?

·
Registered
141 Posts
It is best to keep metal tanks full of gas ALL the time, that way they can not rust,

Rust needs AIR to form,

When I used to put my motorcycle away for the winter, I always made sure to fill the tank for that reason

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Fogging oil.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wait a minute......I bought a Honda 1332ATD this past winter, and I drained the tank, carb, everything for storage over the summer. You mean I was supposed to leave the tank full of gas from April to December? I thought you shouldn't use gas that sat over 3 months?

·
Registered
865 Posts
You can dump WD40 into it and swish it around or fill it up with it.
It will coat and protect the metal to prevent rusting.
Then when you need to use it, just drain it and rinse it with a little bit of fresh gasoline and you are good to go again.
A long time ago they used to use Cosmoline to protect the tanks. Then that was stopped and manufacturers started using a product called "Nox-Rust" to coat their new tanks with.
You hardly see metal tanks anymore because of them rusting holes and leaking, plus fire hazards caused by a spark if they are ruptured accidentally.
You can buy WD40 in gallon containers, it is not expensive. When you place it in a fuel tank to preserve it and need to fill it with fuel again, drain it out and place it back into the container again for further use in the future.
You can also let it run through the fuel system to coat metal parts in the carburetor and valves to protect from corrosion. It works much better than "Sea Foam" and is less expensive.
It rinses out with gasoline so it doesn't harm anything.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Wait a minute......I bought a Honda 1332ATD this past winter, and I drained the tank, carb, everything for storage over the summer. You mean I was supposed to leave the tank full of gas from April to December? I thought you shouldn't use gas that sat over 3 months?
it will start to rust if you emptied the tank,

fill the tank with gas, and a bit of fuel stabilizer

·
Registered
865 Posts
It is best to keep metal tanks full of gas ALL the time, that way they can not rust,

Rust needs AIR to form,

When I used to put my motorcycle away for the winter, I always made sure to fill the tank for that reason
That is true Jerry, it needs Oxygen. Another word for "Rust" is "Iron Oxide".
Rust is formed when Iron, or Steel which is made from Iron, "Oxidizes" or "Rusts".
Motorcyclists know that the LESS "Airspace" is better, as to keep the metal from being exposed to Oxygen in the air.
You could fill your tank with Nitrogen at a low pressure to prevent rust because you will take out the Oxygen and replace it with the Nitrogen, but at an added cost of getting the Nitrogen and regulators fill the tank with it.
A lot of your high performance brake fluid is packaged with Nitrogen gas in the bottle to take up the air space to help the brake fluid to last longer and keep fresher. It is not under pressure, just enough to take up the air space to get the Oxygen out and away from the fluid. Companies have been doing that for years now, that is another reason it costs more, because of the packaging.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
We are split on to drain or not to drain with plastic tanks however with metal tanks, fogging oil, remove and coat with oil, or keep it filled to the top with gasoline then drain and refill in the fall.

·
Registered
865 Posts
We are split on to drain or not to drain with plastic tanks however with metal tanks, fogging oil, remove and coat with oil, or keep it filled to the top with gasoline then drain and refill in the fall.
Yea, that is "6 of 1, half a dozen of the other".
If you are going to keep gasoline in the tank, keep it full and stabilized. The "Less Air Space, The Better". Same with gasoline, it will "Oxidize" or go "Stale" when exposed to air that has Oxygen in it.
The fuel will last much longer if there is no Oxygen present, like if the tank had Nitrogen gas in place of air or oxygen.
That is why you either want to have a completely empty tank, or keep it as full as possible and sealed so there isn't much air space, even in a plastic tank.
People have had good results with both methods of storage when they "Prepped" everything the correct way, such as adding fuel stabilizer to the fuel before storage, or leaving the plastic tank completely dry and sealed to help prevent moisture from entering the dead air space and condensing inside the tank.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts