Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from a new member!

In November I purchased my first new Ariens (Classic 24, a little undersized for my area, but let's say I'm frugal - it's good enough by my standards).

I noticed when I engage the Auger, there is a sound I can best describe as a "creak" - a slight metallic sound that is accompanied by a slight surge of the engine, I suppose since it is coming under load.

I have not heard any such metallic sound in previous snow blowers. I made a recording with my phone, but this aspect of the sound is not discernible in it.

Can anyone provide any input as to whether this is common? Out of two warranty dealers in my area, there is only one I would take it to, and I would have to transport it there (several miles away) for them to even judge the sound.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A True Value hardware store in Calumet, MI. They sell a wide range of Ariens snow blowers, but I ordered online and didn't realize at the time they are not a dealer.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Welcome new member. The creek sound that you're speaking of could very well be from the return spring or the nylon pulley, if applicable, on the cable to the hand grip. A solution to the spring Noise, if applicable, is to place a small strip of foam in the center of the spring. This foam provides enough tension to break up the harmonics of the spring. Also, I have seen the hooks squeak where they are retained at the bracket, so a little bit of oil might work there. For the nylon roller, if applicable, just Lube it.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
The engine surge is the governor kicking in and that's normal.

I suggest having a second person engage the auger while you listen. If could be something loose or something bent. You could remove the shear pins from the auger then spin it.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Might simply be the small amount of belt speed on the drive pulley as it transitions from not moving to at-speed. Without hearing it, it's hard to say, but from what you wrote, I'd likely not be worrying about it much . . .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions. The sound seems to be coming from inside the housing. Figured I should get it checked out just in case, so I dropped it off at the dealer today (they were about to close through the weekend).

On top of this, after my original post I snow...blew? on a day colder than most, and the thing was surging the whole time. When I shut it off half an hour later a flame came up from the muffler. Then today it ran as smooth as ever.

These may be minor issues, but it's a little irritating after barely two months of ownership. I bought a new one to avoid this stuff. :) If anything substantial is found I will post back for others' benefit!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. The sound seems to be coming from inside the housing. Figured I should get it checked out just in case, so I dropped it off at the dealer today (they were about to close through the weekend).

On top of this, after my original post I snow...blew? on a day colder than most, and the thing was surging the whole time. When I shut it off half an hour later a flame came up from the muffler. Then today it ran as smooth as ever.

These may be minor issues, but it's a little irritating after barely two months of ownership. I bought a new one to avoid this stuff. /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif If anything substantial is found I will post back for others' benefit!
Flame? Half hour after you shut it down? Very dangeroso!

·
Registered
654 Posts
When I shut it off half an hour later a flame came up from the muffler. Then today it ran as smooth as ever.
Was it really a half hour latter? Or do you mean I used it for a half hour then shut it off? Anyway, never shut the engine off while at full throttle. Throttle engine at 1/2 throttle for 20-30 seconds then lower the throttle again and wait 30 seconds. This should solve your problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Was it really a half hour latter? Or do you mean I used it for a half hour then shut it off? Anyway, never shut the engine off while at full throttle. Throttle engine at 1/2 throttle for 20-30 seconds then lower the throttle again and wait 30 seconds. This should solve your problem.
This is what I have done with other snow blowers, but the Classic has no throttle control. Just the switch.

·
Registered
44 Posts
When I shut it off half an hour later a flame came up from the muffler. Then today it ran as smooth as ever.
Flame? Half hour after you shut it down? Very dangeroso!
No, to clarify, I ran it for about half an hour and the flame came (first and only time) when I shut off the switch after that.
Ok, sounds like you need to let the engine idle a little bit to burn off excess fuel/hydrocarbons. With greater amounts of unburnt fuel, I have seen several small engines backfire due to the heat of the muffler.

·
Registered
259 Posts
As stated these dont have a throttle control its one speed with governor control for load condition.
Some do have a fuel shutoff and the ones that dont I install a fuel shutoff and tell the owners before turning it off to be put away in the garage to turn the gas off and let the engine die from no fuel, this will also aid in reduced carb problems as well as the backfire from excessive unburned fuel from just turning off the kill switch.

·
Registered
44 Posts
This is what I have done with other snow blowers, but the Classic has no throttle control. Just the switch.
Sorry, somehow I missed this. If the carb is EPA certified it should have a fuel cutoff solenoid to avoid this and wasted hydrocarbons entering the environment. If EPA cert. I would check the solenoid.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I have a Stihl backpack blower/sprayer that you can buy a flame thrower attachment for. It's used for stadium steps, controlled brush fires.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Some do have a fuel shutoff and the ones that dont I install a fuel shutoff and tell the owners before turning it off to be put away in the garage to turn the gas off and let the engine die from no fuel, this will also aid in reduced carb problems as well as the backfire from excessive unburned fuel from just turning off the kill switch.
It does have a shutoff. I read somewhere else about shutting down this way but didn't know the significance of it at the time (and of course this is not how the manual says to shut down). Before the surging and flame issue, I turned off the fuel shutoff a couple of times when I was ready to put away expecting an immediate result, but that was not the case, so I just hit the switch. How long should it take for the remaining fuel in the line to burn off if I shut down this way?

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Mine takes around a minute to die, after I close the fuel shutoff. This is influenced by whether I'm at full throttle vs idle, though. But I'd expect at least 30 seconds or so, before it will run out of fuel. That's normal, it's using the fuel that's still in the carburetor bowl.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
The surging is caused by the low speed jet being too small, Every LCT I get to resell does it, On the 208cc the jet is .018 and I drill it out to .021 and that very little bit makes a world of difference, You elevation will also play a part in that, I am at sea level and that’s what seems to work here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mine takes around a minute to die, after I close the fuel shutoff. This is influenced by whether I'm at full throttle vs idle, though. But I'd expect at least 30 seconds or so, before it will run out of fuel. That's normal, it's using the fuel that's still in the carburetor bowl.
Good to know. I'll try that next time.

The surging is caused by the low speed jet being too small, Every LCT I get to resell does it, On the 208cc the jet is .018 and I drill it out to .021 and that very little bit makes a world of difference, You elevation will also play a part in that, I am at sea level and that’s what seems to work here.
Not sure I'd be comfortable doing that... how do you even drill to that level of fineness (.018 vs. .021)?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts