Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I would put this up here for those interested in modding their blowers.

MTD / Yard Machines 5.5 hp 179cc.
Mods I have done.

1. Impeller mod.
2. Added a Deflector handle.
3. Spare shear pin holder. Drilled holes in crossmember.
4. Wrapped handle with foam insulation for comfort.
5. Utility box installed to hold spare parts, gloves etc.
6. LED Install. Installed a rechargeable 1000 lumin LED for blowing at night.
7. Auger brace Install to tighten up the bucket limit vibration.
8. Key keeper - attached wire to handle to keep it handy.
9. Coffee cup holder. Because I can :)
10. Chute deflector extension. * once I find the material that is.
11. Wheel mod / kit.
12. Tire repair. Chinese rubber tubes would not hold air, added Slime. It's working.
13. Flashing LED strobe (Red) 400 Lumins for operating at night.
15. 3 in. Orange reflectors on the sides of the bucket. *
16. AM FM Radio headphones.

12 of these mods are specific to my snowblower and as far as I know have not been used anywhere else. Haven't been published anyway. Help yourself.
Did I forget anything ?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
We all like photos … :)

I hear that slime is only temporary, and when you do go to fix it properly, its a real mess to clean up. I personally would have taken the tire off, cleaned and painted the rim, and put in a new valve stem.

But I also have a mini tire changer, which makes it a simple job...… If the tire itself was checked (i.e. leaking from the sidewall) then I would use a tube.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It's a new blower. Warranty does not cover tires though. I will probably wind up replacing the tubes. These machines came with tubes so mess is minimal. Just curious as to how well this would work. They say it's good for two to three years. We'll see.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've had good luck with SLIME . I start out adding a couple ounces [ less than recommended ] , knowing I can add more later . Don't expect an ' instant ' fix, run the machine to turn tire, add more air if needed . Slime works best when tire has good air pressure, which forces sealer into void .

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Pics

https://m.facebook.com/comment/replies/?ctoken=2577255542598261_2578269595830189&ft_ent_identifier=2577255542598261&gfid=AQDx1uSJIleeE5KM&notif_t=video_reply&notif_id=1576451863968021&ref=m_notif
Not sure this will work but here goes.

This was a reply to a post I saw on Facebook. Mods are addictive. Using a little 179cc. Machine as I moved and no longer needed My larger 8.5 hp. Blower. Became hard to maneuver after hip surgery. The area I have to clear now is a 20 x 80 of driveway now which is much easier to keep clean. The only mod I wish I could have made is a fuel shutoff. No room, bummer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
What LED light did you use and how did you mount it? I don't have a FB account, so unfortunately I can't view your pictures. I need to do something similar to mine because blowing snow in the pitch black stinks and I have no charging system on my motor.

·
Retired Moderator
9,913 Posts
:welcome: to SBF BlowerMods1

What's the model number ? The photo link doesn't work for me :sad2:
What is the - - > "11. Wheel mod / kit." If it's new I would think it came with some decent cleated tires :confused:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Matt, It's a Craftsman rechargeable LED work light from Lowes. 1000 Lumins. $19.00. Lights up my entire driveway 20 X 80 at night. You can get this same design upto 5000 Lumins but it is more expensive. I attached the light with two nylon clips. Measured them with my little finger. I put around the the handle and screwed into the top of the bucket - perfect fit for mounting. Facebook is the only place I have posted the pics online. Sorry.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The wheel kit mod is do it yourself. Took the stock skids, turned them upside down and welded a quarter inch plate on top. Drilled two holes through the plate to mount the wheel. Adjustable and doesn't wear out. Hardest part of doing this mod is removing the stock powder coat and prepping for the welder.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Wow, that puts those wheels into the snow, as well as way out of the bucket footprint … I use the nice Poly Roller Skids, as they have the skid function as well if needed, and only 20.00 for the pair.

Sticking out like that seems way intrusive and way overkill in my opinion, but the wheel bracket itself appears to be designed well.

By the way, I have never seen X-Trac or SnowHogs with chains …. I have both and they are designed beautifully, work flawlessly, and don't require any chains.

JMHO

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
It is more fun for me to modify a piece of equipment then to buy it....great ideas!
Thanks. Yeah this has been fun. Preventative maintenance and mods. I bought my first one on sale last year for $374.00 it was a 2016 model, they marked them down to $249.00 in 2019. 5.5 hp. Yard Machines by MTD. Jumped on it for the parts alone. It's run like a champ so far. The parts machine has never been started. Haven't even gassed it up. The first year was great but we had 10 inches of wet stuff this year that continually clogged the chute so here come the mods. Good to go now. These Chinese OHV clones seem to start quicker and run stronger but they do require more maintenance. MTD sent me the wrong blower this time. It came with an electric starter. $233.00 if you had to replace it. See what I mean ? It was made in 2018 this time. They start so easy that's it's quicker to pull the rope than to plug in the extension cord. Sweet, I'll take it thank you very much.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Wow, that puts those wheels into the snow, as well as way out of the bucket footprint … I use the nice Poly Roller Skids, as they have the skid function as well if needed, and only 20.00 for the pair.

Sticking out like that seems way intrusive and way overkill in my opinion, but the wheel bracket itself appears to be designed well.

By the way, I have never seen X-Trac or SnowHogs with chains …. I have both and they are designed beautifully, work flawlessly, and don't require any chains.

JMHO
Yep it is overkill but do it right or do it twice and I don't want to ever have to mess with this again. Getting too old for that plus I don't like the skids leaving gouges in the concrete. They don't stick that far out. I have to leave room to get around the mirrors on the pickups anyway. After all is said and done I'll have about 35.00 into these. That's about $18.00 per blower. Never again have to fiddle with them. Making just one pair. Easy to remove and install on the other machine. I don't use chains myself. I did remove 1.5 pounds of air from each tire though. Running at 22.5 pounds per tire. Gives them a tad more grip and still easy to maneuver. If you do this you will want to adjust your height settings though and keep an eye on your tire pressure. I plan on using these blowers for a very long time.:smile2:

·
Registered
148 Posts
The rechargeable LED light is brilliant! That’s a great way to add some light without dealing with the charging system

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
The rechargeable LED light is brilliant! That’s a great way to add some light without dealing with the charging system
Thanks. I had to have some light as you never know what to expect. Running a smaller blower this was pretty much my only option. My blower does not have an alternator. You can get this same design up to 5 K if you need more. This light is good for about 5 hours on high beam 8 on low, don't know about the strobe. I bought this for doing some re-wiring in my attic and had an epiphany. Stuck it on the blower instead. 1000 Lumin lights up my entire driveway. Another tip - if you do this, use wing nuts for easy removal and recharging. :thumbsup:

I picked up a 400 Lumin NEBO strobe too. Used the shovel mount on top of the bucket to mount it. Mounted on the right side of the bucket where it's easily seen. Faced it forward. Used the holes provided for the drift cutters. Won't need the shovel with the impeller mod I finished. The strobe flashes red. I live on a road where extra visability is a good idea. Especially at night.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
if you click "go advanced" it will bring you to a page that you can scroll down to "manage attachments" which will all you to upload pictures. i wouldn't mind seeing this thing also. i have bought some flashing orange led lights for my snowblower but haven't installed them yet. still trying to figure out the best place to mount them.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I have the pics in a folder on my IPad but it won't let me drag and drop. The only place I have them online is in the FB post above. Sorry. I was able to upload them to this site but still couldn't drag and drop. Must be an IPAD thing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts