Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was listening to the radio yesterday and Boston is but 6 inches short of it's all time snow record and many people have 3 to 4 feet of snow on their roofs and the snow is melting along the edges and forming Ice Dams. Several Minnesota companies have gone to Boston to help to clear roofs of snow using low pressure steam. Seems like there has been a presistant snow weather pattern that is funneling all the storms to the North eastern seaboard. Here in Minnesota it's been mostly cold and dry and we normally get 65 to 70 inches per year here in central Minnesota. This year we are in a snow drought.

Minnesotans head east to fix Boston's extreme ice dams | Minnesota Public Radio News

·
Registered
657 Posts
I was listening to the radio yesterday and Boston is but 6 inches short of it's all time snow record and many people have 3 to 4 feet of snow on their roofs and the snow is melting along the edges and forming Ice Dams. Several Minnesota companies have gone to Boston to help to clear roofs of snow using low pressure steam. Seems like there has been a presistant snow weather pattern that is funneling all the storms to the North eastern seaboard. Here in Minnesota it's been mostly cold and dry and we normally get 65 to 70 inches per year here in central Minnesota. This year we are in a snow drought.

Minnesotans head east to fix Boston's extreme ice dams | Minnesota Public Radio News
Hopefully you will get some rain this spring to make up for it :)

As for us, wondeing about flooding the banks of small rivers when the melting gets going. :eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have to disagree with at least one point in that story. We here in New England certainly do know about ice dams and how to fix or prevent them. The difference this year is simply the overabundance of snow and the build-up from lack of "melt days" in between storms that we would normally see.

There are just "X amount" of experienced people to deal with the problem and this year it's been so widespread and enduring that it's impossible to get it all done without calling in the reserves.

I'm glad the Minnesotans are able to get over here and pitch in to help. And put a little money in their pockets doing so.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have to disagree with at least one point in that story. We here in New England certainly do know about ice dams and how to fix or prevent them. The difference this year is simply the overabundance of snow and the build-up from lack of "melt days" in between storms that we would normally see.

There are just "X amount" of experienced people to deal with the problem and this year it's been so widespread and enduring that it's impossible to get it all done without calling in the reserves.

I'm glad the Minnesotans are able to get over here and pitch in to help. And put a little money in their pockets doing so.
a LOT of money, they charge $600 an hour, most jobs taking 3 hours

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Not always!

The company we called sent 4 guys at $90/person/hour and took an hour and a half. And our house is on the large side, although not exactly a mansion.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Looking to finally have day time temperatures above freezing all next week! It's about time. I totally agree with Pixman regarding lack of melt days. Ice dams are nothing new to us New Englanders, but barely seeing above freezing for that last 5/6 weeks is.
I don't recall such constant frigid winter ever and I've lived in Massachusetts all my life. The insurance companies will be taking a hit this year! Of course they'll be passing their losses along to the consumer with higher premiums!

·
Super Moderator
9,888 Posts
We had your global warming all winter. Barely enough snow to cover the grass. It's going to be a dry spring and no need to worry about any flooding from spring run off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts