Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Read Only
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe this will help someone out, so I’ll throw it out there. My recently purchased used Craftsman was missing both Auger grease fittings. There were just holes where they used to be. Not threaded holes, just drilled holes for press in Zerk fittings. I got a couple of new fittings...One hole was still tight enough to tap in a new fitting with a socket and hammer. The other hole had wallowed out, I guess when the fitting got knocked out. The hole was too big for the new grease fitting. I thought about tapping the hole for a threaded Zerk with a 1/4-28 bottoming tap. The tap just slid all the way in and hit the drive shaft. So I used an automatic center punch and staked a bunch of punch marks all around the perimeter of the hole, as close as I could get them to the hole. This swells the metal and closes the hole just a little bit...that’s all it took. I pounded in a new grease Zerk. It had just a touch of wiggle after installation, so I punch staked all around it again and it’s super solid. My grease gun tip just roles off the fitting. Both fitting are solid now. I removed the shear pins and greased and spun the Augers around a bunch...reinstalled the shear pins and shot more grease in. I used to just shoot chain and cable fluid in there, but this is better. It pushes the grease far inside the Auger tube. My instruction manual shows the grease fittings. I guess not all blowers have fittings, but if they drilled the right sized hole, they could still be installed.
Material property Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Bicycle part Bumper
Office supplies Household hardware Writing implement Wood Metal

·
Premium GOT Member
9,697 Posts
I install them all the time on gearboxes.
I had a guy say grease attracts dirt and should never be used. I asked him what he used for lube and he said nothing. You can save money not using shear pins when the augers weld themselves onto the gearbox shafts.
Preventive maintenance is no longer needed on OPE anymore. When the machine breaks just buy a new one. You can get a loan from Uncle Sam and never pay it back. Just wait long enough until they forgive the loan.

Hope you all understand I am being facetious......

·
Registered
Smoke 'em if you got 'em
767 Posts
I install them all the time on gearboxes.
I had a guy say grease attracts dirt and should never be used. I asked him what he used for lube and he said nothing. You can save money not using shear pins when the augers weld themselves onto the gearbox shafts.
Preventive maintenance is no longer needed on OPE anymore. When the machine breaks just buy a new one. You can get a loan from Uncle Sam and never pay it back. Just wait long enough until they forgive the loan.

Hope you all understand I am being facetious......
As always, I appreciate you honesty and candor.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Is this similar to your Lock N Lube?
I might pick one up.
If you don't mind waiting a couple of weeks for it, these are available for about half that price delivered from China... I have 3 of them.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
If you don't mind waiting a couple of weeks for it, these are available for about half that price delivered from China... I have 3 of them.
for any Canucks that love that price, NO delivery to the Great White North :mad:

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Reactions: quexpress and LenD

·
Premium Member
310 Posts

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Thanks tabora, just ordered, 2 of the above, free shipping......however I may forget what they are for when they arrive, est June 7th to July 26th ..... but thanks any way.....stay safe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts