Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know a lot about 2 cycle oils but some equipment calls for ashless 2 cycle oil, TC-W3 oil, the most common manufacturer name that uses this oil is Toro for at least their 2 cycle snowblowers.

There are also different ratios for oils. Years ago the 2 cycle ratio was 16:1, then it went to 20 and & 24:1 but only for a short time. It went to 32:1 for a long time, then 40:1 and 50:1. My understanding some are even higher at 70:1.

And before 2 cycle oils existed, the recommended oil was 30wt ND (non-detergent) which believe it or not, you can still BUY! And for a lawnmower, there is no need for a detergent oil, you can feel comfortable using 30ND. It's just a sump lubricating the connecting rod crank bearing and the lower cylinder wall.

There are some 2 cycle oils when mixed at one ratio can be used in equipment that calls for different ratios. Below re 2 links to such oils, Opti2 and Valvoline. Possibly there are others. They also make the claim that you can use this in equipment that calls for ashless 2 cycle oil. I have no idea if this is the right thing or not.

2 cycle oil - Opti2, Opti4, and Opti-Mizer MAX - Premium Lubricants from Interlube International

The Valvoline link below claims it is for both TC-W3 and Jaso-FB rated and works in all 2 stroke equipment. Air cooled, small equipment and water cooled, large marine equipment all the same. Autozone almost always has it in stock for about 6 bucks per quart. I may give it a try next time I need some 2 stroke oil.

https://www.valvoline.com/our-products/motor-oil/multi-purpose-2stroke-engine-oil

·
Banned
474 Posts
QUOTE=JLawrence08648;1590649]And before 2 cycle oils existed, the recommended oil was 30wt ND (non-detergent) which believe it or not, you can still BUY! And for a lawnmower, there is no need for a detergent oil, you can feel comfortable using 30ND. It's just a sump lubricating the connecting rod crank bearing and the lower cylinder wall.l[/QUOTE]

???? Small engine manufacturers have recommended detergent crankcase oils from at least the early mid '60's that I know of.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE=JLawrence08648;1590649]And before 2 cycle oils existed, the recommended oil was 30wt ND (non-detergent) which believe it or not, you can still BUY! And for a lawnmower, there is no need for a detergent oil, you can feel comfortable using 30ND. It's just a sump lubricating the connecting rod crank bearing and the lower cylinder wall.l
???? Small engine manufacturers have recommended detergent crankcase oils from at least the early mid '60's that I know of.[/QUOTE]

I'll still stand by my statement for oil for a lawnmower. Buy whatever is the cheapest, whether detergent or non detergent. The lawnmower will last. It's only a sump and the oil has no passage ways to go through, no rocker arm assembly as in a car with passage ways, it only has to lubricate one journal bearing and the cylinder wall. What is the specific need for a detergent oil in a lawnmower? Though my preferred oil is a 30wt oil and generally I buy detergent because it's cheaper. A 30wt may thicken a little in the colder fall weather but I'm cutting the lawn only a few times then and put up with it.

I do use Synthetic in my snowblower only for the ease of starting thickness of the oil.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts