206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took home this big boy on sale for 523.00

Attachments

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
You expecting the big one to hit soon?:icon_smile_approve:

I bought one in the late summer right before Sandy hit us.
Out of power for 3 days, I have not used it since.
But I have it if I need it.

I bought one that runs on propane, I start it up once and a while.
One thing good about the propane is that the carb is always clean as a whistle. You never have to worry about gas going bad either. Propane will stay good in the can for many many years.
The 3 days I was without power when Sandy hit I only used 1 20 lb barbecue can. I have 4 total, I might get one more.
I did not run it constantly, just enough to keep the fridge cold and the comfort of some lights and the radio at night.
In the winter I am only worried about heat, I have to tap into my gas heaters fan for the winter. I am going to do it right so all I got to do is flip a switch and plug it in.
No need to Kill anyone trying to restore power outside, you could end up in jail! :eeek:
You have to watch that you know?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol I hear yah. I have a family electrician installing a 30 amp inlet on the outside of the house and a transfer switch on the inside of the house. This will power pretty much the entire house except the electric dryer. I'm running all 9 watt LED Bulbs in the house

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
sure wish i could buy one that size up here for that price !!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So question on the break in for this thing. The screenshots below are from the owners manual. The first section says that the "Operational Break-in" will last 3 hours of use and to not apply a heavy load. Then the "Maintenance Break-in" will last 20 hours of use and to change the oil after. Then reading into the maintenance section it says for oil changes to perform them at 20 hours, 100 hours, 300 hours. So my question is, do i just put in some standard oil and run it with say my 850 Watt computer plugged in or a space heater for 3 hours, not change the oil, and then after 20 hours of use with a heavy load applied change the oil over to Mobil 1 EP. After that change it every 100 hours? Also for the break in period of 3 hours, can i run it 1 hour on saturday, 1 on on Sunday and so forth until i hit 3 hours of light load?

Attachments

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
that must be 1 big computer if it runs 850 watts of power. with mine I just pluged it in. and let it go full bore to run my whole house central air and all.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that must be 1 big computer if it runs 850 watts of power. with mine I just pluged it in. and let it go full bore to run my whole house central air and all.
So no break in period? Also from the documentation what do you read as my hourly oil change period?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Lol I hear yah. I have a family electrician installing a 30 amp inlet on the outside of the house and a transfer switch on the inside of the house. This will power pretty much the entire house except the electric dryer. I'm running all 9 watt LED Bulbs in the house
Talk to the electrician about an interlock from your panel manufacturer. It's a lot cheaper and you can select any circuit, not just the few your transfer switch allows - unless you mean a "real" transfer switch and not one of those panels.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Talk to the electrician about an interlock from your panel manufacturer. It's a lot cheaper and you can select any circuit, not just the few your transfer switch allows - unless you mean a "real" transfer switch and not one of those panels.
From what i understand(and i know jack about wiring). There will be a 30 amp inlet on the outside of the house, a separate panel next to my main panel and a transfer switch in between to connect the secondary panel to generator or main power. All of the things we want to connect to generator power will go in the secondary panel with breakers while everything we don't care about goes on the main panel. Make sense?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Yep - that's typically the way you have to do it on a entry panel that does not have a lockout/transfer feature. That way there is separation from being able to back feed the meter side. If I replace my electrical panel I plan to get one that has the transfer/lockout feature. It makes things less complicated. I'd like to get a genset that runs on natural gas too...... that way I don't have to worry about filling up tanks etc. Learned a few things after supporting our New England friends on a big ice storm. Gas stations may not have power and delivery trucks may not be able to get anywhere either.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts