Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has this been done before?

can you pick 5 or 10 that should be in it?

and how would they rank?

·
Registered
147 Posts
tdipaul, are you looking for "best models of all time"? For me this would be difficult to do. If you're looking for more of a "most important models" type thing, i.e. first to incorporate two stages on a home model, or first to incorporate a vertical control from the dashboard for the auger chute, or that sort of thing, I think that would be fun.
Snowblowers are a personal thing around here.
I should also state that I am a fan of the "why is this model better than that model" dialogue and am always curious why some like this model over another model. Like, the 2017 version has heated grips but the 2019 has turn assist with no heated grips, that sort of thing. Finding out about features of different manufacturers is cool to me.
Finally, as I seem to have comment diarrhea right now, I would state that my Hall of Fame blower is the one that causes me the least grief over the most time, and because of that, I think we will all have a different blower for the Hall of Fame.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
i don't know how you could choose? i feel like the area you have to snowblow effects what you like or dislike about a machine. i like some of the older toro's because they have the spring loaded scraper so they almost clean like single stage but not a huge fan of their controls or the lack of shoot/deflector control. once you have the shoot/deflector control running a machine without one sucks.

·
Registered
574 Posts
This subject is like asking guys if they prefer big breasts or little. 'sall good.

Most of my favorites have been personalized to suit me and were probably not on many top ten lists to start with but I have to at least put a vote in for 60-70s Ariens. Add 80s era Noma blowers to my list.

·
Premium Member
7,129 Posts
I would say .....anything I have built in the last 12 months......

seriously , I really like the Gilson 824 I got for free. Think ( not sure ) it was a Montgomery Ward circa 1974? Built like a Sherman Tank. sold it to a real Gilson enthusiast that had the patience to tear it all down and rebuild. I posted a pic here last year.

Never saw a happier guy. He even sent me updates periodically.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
My candidates for North American models in no particular order. All "IMO" of course.

• 1970's Ariens - not sure which exact series, up to Mr. Lawrence to call that
  • Honda's pre-HSS(?) models - the models made up until 2016 or so
  • Ariens SHO models
  • Simplicity Signature Pro's - the models with the beefy handles
  • Early Troy-Bilt 8/24 and 10/28's - they were really good back in the early 90's
  • Late 70's - 80's Toro 5/24, 7/24, 11/32 models. Built like tanks. Pre Powershift verisons (unique yes but overly complex)
  • Any Toro with Quik Stick and ACS impeller system - the best chute control system to date and the most innovative impeller design. They got it right from the get-go. Bonus points for the version with the 2-stroke engine 2004-2006 - almost like a unicorn now!
  • Any Yamaha 2 stage
  • Toro Snowmaster reissue (not the old two cycle SM's from the 80's) - yes its that good.
  • Honda HS520

·
Registered
338 Posts
Ariens 924,000 series, classis, solid, yet modern safety's and depending where in the year range, heavy hitters that can throw snow as well as the modern ones, especially with a few modifications.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts