Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greeting friends...I just scored my 2nd Montgomery Ward/Gilson. This is a gear drive 2 speed with the Foote tranny. It was advertised on Craigslist with a blown tranny for $50, I offered $30 and bought it. The owner said the transmission was blown and the auger didn't work......2 shear pins and putting the tranny belt back on and she is running sweet.....and she was just professionally serviced.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The air cleaner is a chrome regular filter in appearance......I'll check it out. Funny it even had an air cleaner, and it doesn't have a heater box.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
You're on fire cranmam! "Blown transmission"....how on earth did you keep a straight face!?! :) Is that an 8hp? (Tough to see on my phone.) There are a few of briggs heat shrouds are on fleabay.

·
Registered
183 Posts
If you are going to keep it, the $10 model specific manual/parts list from Spectrum is a great investment. The parts list page alone pays for itself.

Also, the Gilson branded version of that model - the 835 - came with upgraded turf type tires. These are wider and roll very, very nicely - it's a nice improvement. You can see those specific tires on Spectrum's line-up page.

Finally, spin the impeller and make sure it spins evenly. Most of these models have eaten a fence or two and the damage can be hidden.

Nice find.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks toroused......if I keep this girl, or her unitrol cousin...I'll definately replace the tires with aggressive Toro wheels and tires.....got them in stock and tried them for fit already.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts