Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went last night to pick up Monty.....a craigslist find for $75 ...75 miles away from home. The old gentleman that owned it passed away and his heirs were selling it. Monty wasn't used for eight years and the motor has no spark, and the tranny was frozen . I've got the tranny cleaned up and linkages working, and will start on the motor and a general cleanup after I free up my worktable from a Toro 8 24 I'm going through. This Montgomery Ward 8, has the Briggs motor, is made by Gilson and is the Unitrol model...it has no plate so I don't know when it was made, but I'm guessing the early 70's I'm going to ditch the solid tires and replace them with the newer style Toro wheels and tires.....might even go to the taller tire found on the bigger Toro's.

·
Retired Moderator
9,913 Posts
Looks like the AG tires are pretty bald. Some newer ones are going to be a huge improvement. Looking forward to your progress reports and photos.

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
looks like you got yourself a project there with monty, don't forget to checkout the Gilson website

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
I have worked on a number of these old girls, one of my most frustrating problems were rims rusted onto axle....Heat and penetrating oil and repeat, and repeat.....LOL

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just finished working on an 8 24 Toro from around 1990......only a 30 dollar price tag, but needed a lot of fixing. It had one rim frozen onto the shaft and I ended up torching the rim off, then grinding a slot in the hub to finally make it let go. I had a couple of really nice rims and tires from a newer powershift that I had to hacksaw the axle off because they were frozen on so hard, and I needed to get to the transmission for a rebuild project. I ended up taking most of a morning drilling out the axles ......but now the older Toro is got nice skins!

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Monty Lives!

I spent some time between projects this afternoon putting points etc. in Monty. She wouldn't fire with the carb untouched, so I took her apart and cleaned it with Simple Green in a HF sonic cleaner........after multiple cycles the carb looked like new. I bolted her together and she started at pull number three without the choke....and idled right down so slow you would swear she couldn't keep running. I put her through the gears to check my transmission adjusting skills, and everything is just the way it should be. Next step is a new shear plate, new pneumatic tires and rims, a really good cleaning and degreasing....then decide on paint. This is my first look at a Gilson, and I'm really impressed...I don't believe I'll miss having any safeties on the machine, but I'm thinking about putting an ignition switch near to hand to ease my mind. What really drives home the quality of these older machines was rehabbing a 2005 Yard Machine yesterday...if MTD made it any cheaper, it would disintegrate on its own.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Went last night to pick up Monty.....a craigslist find for $75 ...75 miles away from home. The old gentleman that owned it passed away and his heirs were selling it. Monty wasn't used for eight years and the motor has no spark, and the tranny was frozen . I've got the tranny cleaned up and linkages working, and will start on the motor and a general cleanup after I free up my worktable from a Toro 8 24 I'm going through. This Montgomery Ward 8, has the Briggs motor, is made by Gilson and is the Unitrol model...it has no plate so I don't know when it was made, but I'm guessing the early 70's I'm going to ditch the solid tires and replace them with the newer style Toro wheels and tires.....might even go to the taller tire found on the bigger Toro's.
I discovered how old my Montgomery Ward (Gilson) was by looking at the imprint on the recoil shrouding. Mine was a 1973. Take a look there and you will know when the engine was manufactured.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Gusto Guy..I took your advice, and the engine was manufactured on Sept 23, 1971...so I'm guessing Monty is a 1971. I just started stripping her down for paint and got the tractor done in Rustoleum 2x real orange gloss, and am doing the handles and blower diverter in Rustoleum 2x gloss almond....both are almost perfect matches to the original paint. I'm replacing the solid tires and rims with a pair I robbed off of a Toro powershift from the 90's that will fit right and have a lot of traction, but not much higher then stock. I'm leaning on doing an impeller kit while she is dismantled......then I'm DONE!

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well friends.......got Monty all finished yesterday....rattle can rebuild LOL. She is tight and purrs. I'm not putting new tires on her yet, but if I keep her, before I run her she's get new skins. I'm truly impressed with the craftmanship the blowers of the seventies showed...truly lifetime machines.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
nice job !

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks toroused....my scraper still has a lot of meat and it has slots so it can be adjusted. I'll look into it though!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts