Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Alberta. I recently purchased what I believe to be a 1968 Moto-Mower Snow Shark 7 with dual-augers. Its a beast and I am currently going through it to get it ready for winter. I tore apart the transmission which is a Foote Model 36 based on my research. Fortunately all of the internals are in good shape, unlike some of the other unlucky owners of these. The grease had congealed and needs replaced.

I am planning to drill/tap holes on each side of the 2-part housing to accommodate grease fittings. Once done, I will repack it with grease. I am having trouble pinpointing what grease to use. The OEM recommended #4300 Shell Darina "O" which does not exist anymore.

Could someone recommend a suitable low-temp replacement grease? I'd like to put the right lube back into this thing given if it dies, the whole machine is useless!

Also, if anyone out there has a spare Foote Model 36 I'd be interested in buying a parts unit. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome.

I have been seeing 00 in my research, but it appears not to come in a grease gun tube. Likely due to its semi-fluid properties. Is anyone aware of this coming in a tube?

I guess if I used this grease I would be better off adding a plug instead of a grease fitting. But what I took out of the trans was quite thick and clearly never was very fluid at all. I'd like to put something similar back in.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
I have been seeing 00 in my research, but it appears not to come in a grease gun tube. Likely due to its semi-fluid properties. Is anyone aware of this coming in a tube?
#00 is a liquid grease; but sure, here's an example of thickened #00: Super Lube 41150/00 $14.87 Multipurpse Grease, PTFE, 14.1 oz., NLGI 00 | Zoro.com
But what I took out of the trans was quite thick and clearly never was very fluid at all. I'd like to put something similar back in.
I think that Darina grease is clay thickened, similar to what was originally in Honda snow blower right side transmissions. People put a zerk on there now, insure that all the old grease is cleaned out, and then use a quality synthetic molybdenum grease that is compatible with all the metal components.

·
Somebody
3,380 Posts
Ya... I dunno. I get mine in a GG tube, but. Far far away...

A quick search shows Oregon has it a 32oz. squeeze bottle, that'd probably work... gotta be some in a tube though somewhere.

Here's another thread that might offer some clues:

·
Registered
930 Posts
I would just pack it with a low temperature grease and reassemble. Grease fittings have little benefit here since the moisture will settle at the bottom of the housing away from the seals where the grease would have to escape. Grease fittings are used in situations where the intent is to move dirt and moisture out of the assembly as new grease is forced in. The volume of grease you would have to force through the housing to clear contamination is quite large and without an intentional path for grease to escape, would be ineffective at cycling that contamination out. There is also the residual pressure of pumping in grease which brings up the question of are the seals capable of retaining grease under pressure? Will they just pop out as you pump the handle? Put another way, when an engineer designs an assembly with grease fittings they specify seals that are intended to let the grease pass while remaining in place and without compromising the seal on the shaft.

Reactions: Ziggy65

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would just pack it with a low temperature grease and reassemble. Grease fittings have little benefit here since the moisture will settle at the bottom of the housing away from the seals where the grease would have to escape. Grease fittings are used in situations where the intent is to move dirt and moisture out of the assembly as new grease is forced in. The volume of grease you would have to force through the housing to clear contamination is quite large and without an intentional path for grease to escape, would be ineffective at cycling that contamination out. There is also the residual pressure of pumping in grease which brings up the question of are the seals capable of retaining grease under pressure? Will they just pop out as you pump the handle? Put another way, when an engineer designs an assembly with grease fittings they specify seals that are intended to let the grease pass while remaining in place and without compromising the seal on the shaft.
You make a fair point here. I am actually leaning away from adding a grease fitting as there only seems to be about 1/8" of aluminum there to tap. I am concerned it wont provide enough threads to bite. This trans doesn't have any seals, just a pair of gaskets between the housings. The shafts exit the case through a flange bearing and a ball bearing and that's it. So I am thinking the 00 will leak out more easily than something thicker.

I will keep digging and report back on what I decided upon. Many of the cold-friendly greases are only rated for -20C and man, does it get colder than that up here in Calgary! There is a Calcium-based MotoMaster low-temp grease from Canadian Tire that is rated for -50C. It is thicker though at Grade 2.

I will likely grab a few tubes of that and call it a day.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
I have always used the Canadian Tire Low Temp snowmobile grease on my Ariens blowers (auger zerks, hex and axle shafts etc.).

I agree, it is probably your best solution and should work well for your application.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts