Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... I've searched everywhere and read most everything I've found... I have a new to me Snow Shark that is in decent shape except the Tecumseh is done... I would like to repower it. I have been looking at the B&S electric start engines and wanted advice. I also would be very interested in the parts list someone mentioned from Grainger to replace all bearings & chains etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Dan

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
welcome to sbf. I cant help you out but the guys here can.
Thanks BB.. I am sure they can... I am really keen on getting a nice beefy 15.5 or 16.5 B&S electric start retrofit... i am hoping it's doable...

The model # is 624-102 and serial number is i? ? 11286 I think.

thx guys.

·
Retired Moderator
9,913 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Would love to see some photos of it (hint, hint).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have 5 pictures to upload, but Comcast seems to blow chunks.... My personal web storage seems to have vanished and I just spent 45 minutes on the phone with a guy from Comcast that basically sent me around in the same circles I went before I called. I tried to upload some pictures yesterday but it wouldn't work, so I figured I needed to host them somewhere. Let me try again! Nope, same thing... I want to upload attachments but hmmmmmmm..... OK.... is there a way to upload attachments without having to host them somewhere? Thanks!

Dan

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK... So... I think this thing is a beast and from what I have seen, I am guessing it would be much better than most new snowblowers under the $800 range and was again looking for any and all advice possible about repowering it with a beefier new B&S engine. Thanks again.

Dan

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Very nice well preserved machine. With the small space allotted for engine placement, you may have a hard time finding a different brand of engine to fit. A clone engine is definitely to wide for the space you have. That 30 to 40 year old Tecumseh could\should be able to live again.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Agreed, a simple carb rebuild should revive this beast.

Just out of curiosity, what part of the world did you find this machine?

·
Retired Moderator
9,913 Posts
What about the Tecumseh is "done" ??

Mounting a 15+ HP engine on it might be a bit overkill. Nothing wrong with overkill just depends on what your intention is. More HP doesn't do you any practical good after a certain point. The impeller is likely the limiting factor in how much it will be able to handle and how fast. If you put a 6-8 HP engine on it it's likely all you'll need and seldom get it on the governor.

It looks a lot like the Jari Jaw II.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Ok.... 2 main problems upon first glance... first the gas tank has rust inside and liquid remnance of what was once gasoline. Lots of rust inside the tank. ..Second problem. .. no spark...

I was thinking it may just be easier to use a brand new B&S electric start engine... and I was thinking of going BIG was best... the chute and impeller is a bit bigger than the current snowblowers you see...

my thought was more torque means throwing snow further. . Perhaps an incorrect thought.

Sooo.. that is why I thought big new B&S engine.

This actually was my grandfathers snowblower... it has been sitting in his garage for about 7 or 8 years....

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Well, the spark issue is kind of of to be expected over time. Could be points, or condenser.

Insofar as the tank, there are numerous remedies to overcome rust.

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
If the old girl has compression I'd sure give her a shot at running again. No spark could mean anything from a dirty set of points to flywheel replacement. Do your homework. Ask us questions. Remember, start with the simplest fix and work from there. Keep it all original if you possibly can. But before sinking $$ into it make sure that things are free. Bearings, shafts etc. Impeller condition. Pulleys in good condition etc. Hopefully it'll all be good.
Keep us updated!
And welcome' to the forum.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Here is a link to the Tecumseh flat head service manual, if you need it. You could probably get a plastic tank from a newer (than yours) Tecumseh and make new mounting straps to keep it in the current location. There are 1/2 gallon and one gallon tanks available used on ebay, or locally.

http://www.barrettsmallengine.com/manual/tecumsehlheadmanual.pdf

·
Retired Moderator
9,913 Posts
The tank is easy. Find a better condition used one on ebay or call around to small engine shops to see if someone has a good used one. If you can't find one, modify something to fit like a newer plastic tank.
If you wanted to keep the original all you need to do is clean it out really well and then coat it with a sealant.

Gas Tank - Under Car Coatings - Paints & Coatings

It's not horse power that throws the snow it's RPM. Yes you need enough HP to be able to turn the RPM but the impellers RPM is what throws the snow. It too has a limit and at some point you don't have the bulk or weight of snow to make good distance it's just blowing powder and the distance diminishes. Higher RPM also wears out the bearings faster and stresses everything more. Think of the speed of the impeller as cutting off a chunk of snow and moving it out the chute. Slow the chunk is big and it's hard to throw very far. Fast and it cuts a nice size that has weight to carry it a good distance and really fast it's just a sliver of snow that isn't going to go very far at all.

Best thing I can do is "show" you a V8 powered blower and you'll see he isn't tossing it much better than a good 10 horse power Toro or Craftsman.
In the video it says it's 126 feet but from what I can see it looks more like 50-60 using the pickup for reference. That's after spending $$$$ and a ton of custom work.

I'd try to get it running first and use it in snow. It might be enough as is and it's kind of a classic and would be a shame to butcher (modify). It should work well and if you want to go "Tim the tool man Taylor" on it you can always sell the engine you have and use that to get something bigger and then read up on how other guys have replaced the pulley on the engine with something a bit bigger to get a few more RPMs on the auger and impeller and move a bit more snow faster and further. I like a bigger engine myself so I'm not trying to talk you out of it.
Just trying to give you some info to chew over to get you where you want to go. :D:D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts