Snowblower Forum banner

Moving on from 1989 John Deere TRX24

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  douglasj76 
#1 ·
Hello everyone! First post! Time for a new snow thrower. It has done well, although it did have a bit of trouble at the EOD during bigger snowfalls. What would be a upgrade that would be under $1,000 new or under $600 used. Anything I should be looking at? Driveway is about 40-50ft long with a turn around, and descent sized area in front of a 2 car garage. Driveway is wider then a single car but narrower then a 2 car..all concrete. Snowfall can be pretty heavy sometimes as we will get lake effect snow here. If I'm looking on the market what should I keep my eye out, and what should I avoid? Open to new as well if it's a good deal. Thanks!

#2 ·
I only have experience with my Toro 1028 Power max. That I bought new. Around $1200. Has trigger steering and is easy to maneuver around. It is a wheeled machine versus a tracked one. Decide on wheels because of it be easier to move around the garage. I am very pleased with it and not needed to look around at others

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

#4 ·
:welcome: to SBF douglasj76

With the money you're talking about spending I'd likely look for a used Ariens or Toro. They were built well and tend to hold up well and especially if the previous owner took care of it. They also have very good customer support with good parts availability. That includes going back as far as the 70's in most cases.
There is also the school of thought of just getting a new or near new cheaper machine (MTD, Murray, AYP, Troy, CC) which will get the job done and if cared for will last a good decade or two. The problem is with parts. My 2009 Troy already has a number of parts for the blower that are NLA and the China engine is way past getting anything other than maybe a carb replacement. Still there are tons of MTD, Troy, AYP, Murray, house branded, ... blowers that are out there blowing snow every time it falls.

What I would say is stay away from an offshore built snowblower. In a lot of cases they have a great low price and next to or no replacement parts from day one, poor or no customer service and there just isn't any value to them unless you're lucky enough to get one that never breaks. Just MHO. For the most part all the engines are going to be offshore so you really don't have an option. Those engines have so far proved themselves to be quite reliable. Since they mostly were built from Honda engineering it stands to reason they are reliable.
Since the TRX24 wasn't doing that well on the EOD you might want to keep your eyes open for something with a bigger engine for the bucket size compared to others with the same width. You could also consider dripping a bigger engine on yours if it's in good condition.

#5 ·
Thanks for the reply! I did sell the old one today so I won't be doing a engine on it. It was was pretty worn with a good bit of surface rust. I'll be on the lookout for a clean used one and if I don't see anything used by mid to late October I'll buy something new. Looks like I'll focus on Ariens, Husqvarna, and Toro for anything used. For new is there anything at the big box stores worth looking at?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.