Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swapped a 5.5 hp B&S engine off of an older Craftsman and it bolted right on an MTD Gold series 24 inch snow blower body. The drive pulley lined right up...but the forward shifter positions make it back up and the reverse positions make it go forward? The engine drive shaft turns clockwise if facing the flywheel...just like the old Craftsman.... Am I missing something?

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Are you sure the MTD wasn't using a second engine output off the camshaft for the drive wheels?

·
Registered
756 Posts
do you still have the original engine, if so check to see if it has two output shafts as Shryp mentioned.

I am in agreement with Shryp, that the original engine was a two shaft engine and your are replacing it with a single shaft engine.

If this is the case there are a few things you can do the rectify the problem, you can adjust the friction disk so that you get acceptable speeds for blowing snow in the forward direction, although you will not get as many forward speeds as before because of the position of the friction disk in relation to the drive disk. The crankshaft output will also be twice as fast as the original camshaft output.

Search youtube, if i remember correctly there was a guy who swapped out an twin shaft with a single shaft on an mtd blower

1 - 5 of 5 Posts